586,069 active members*
3,487 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Red face new to cnc home built cnc

Hi, I would like to know if there are any members in and around Santa Rosa,Ca. Thanks in advance for info.

Re: new to cnc home built cnc

I'm building a CRP Pro 48x96 down here in Mill Valley.

Thanks for the Reply to my Question, I have built a cnc from scratch and had quite the time building it! It is finished, but now comes the learning of the software curve! It was fun to have all the problems come up and over come them. I cannot wait to operate it and see what it will do.....What experience do you have with cnc ? I see you have a good size cnc, my cnc is 2' x 3' for now. When you get yours up and running, I would like to see it in operation if you would not mind.
    Regards, Richard Mack
    707-528-0309

I'm hoping to finish my build by the end of next week. I've been playing around a little with Vcarve. I'm also experimenting with Illustrator converting rastor to vector, then generating the toolpaths in Vcarve. I'm new to CNC but I have a lot of experience in woodworking and systems engineering. I tried to load the free (for enthusiasts) version of Autodesk Fusion 360 on my mac last night but it kept crashing. with Fusion you can design objects and create tool paths. I'll give you a shout when the machine is up and running.

Best

-Scott Elkington

A picture of my CRP 48x96

Attachment 238962

Considering what you built it with. That is amazing! Really good use of off the shelf parts! What Machine control software are you using?

Hey guys! I've started up an informal user's group here in the San Francisco Bay Area on digital fabrication. Our next meeting is later this week, and I'd love to see you there:
    Additive vs Subtractive vs Manipulative (and post Maker Faire Wrap-up!) - Bay Area Digital Fabrication Club (Oakland, CA) - Meetup

It's a group of pros & enthusiasts looking to share workflow tips, news, and ideas around making things with robotic tools. Our first meeting was on the free 2.5D CAM HSD plugin & Project Dynamo, the Grasshopper-alike for Revit. This next meeting will be about comparing and contrasting Additive, Subtractive, and Manipulative fabrication. We'll also be comparing notes from what we all saw at Maker Faire related to digital fabrication.

I run a pair of Shopbot CNC routers, an older modified PRT & a newer PRS. So I'd love to talk cheap / free CAM & cutting tips!

Hope to see you there!