586,096 active members*
3,744 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Geomagic design elements assemblies, movement in a slot

Geomagic design elements assemblies, movement in a slot

Hi Guys,

I have Geomagic Design Elements and I have two parts where one has a slot and the other has a square peg that is meant to ride in the slot. I'm able to constrain the slot part on two axis so that it slides correctly along the peg, except when the end of the slot hits the peg it goes right through it and keeps traveling. I see no way to not allow infinite travel along that axis. Do I really need the full Geomagic Design package to make this happen? This seems like a pretty simple use case to me, am I really missing something?

Thanks!

Dan.

Re: Geomagic design elements assemblies, movement in a slot

It sounds like you are trying to do motion simulation and for that you need the full Geomagic Design, which includes the Dynamics add-on for motion simulation.

With Elelments you can only create fixed constraints - that is a fully constrained part won't be able to move at all with respect to other parts in the assembly. Motion simulation lets you create constraints for movement, like specifying that your part is free to move along the slot, but not past the stop.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I was starting to suspect as much. Bummer.

Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    It sounds like you are trying to do motion simulation and for that you need the full Geomagic Design, which includes the Dynamics add-on for motion simulation.
    Hi Mike,

I would just complete your statement, for being exact: "which *MIGHT INCLUDE* the Dynamics add-on for motion simulation *IF YOU BOUGHT THE PRODUCT RECENTLY*, as the old customers that bought Alibre Design Expert with Alibre Motion there is no upgrade path, even if they were under maintenance all the time.

Geomagic kindly announced a free upgrade for the Geomagic Elements users to Geomagic Design, but silently downgraded the Alibre Desih Expert customers to the same Geomagic Design product... and to Geomagic / 3D Systems management this seems to be completelly right (to put customers that paid US$2500+ at the time, in the same competitive bucket with customers that paid US$800 max.).

I know now which company to not put my further investments in .

All the best,
    Florin

The free upgrade from Geomagic Design Elements to Geomagic Design Expert only covers customers who are under maintenance when the new version is released (which is supposed to be on the 23rd of this month). The new version will include Dynamics; it's not being downgraded. Since the Elements program is being discontinued, they had a choice of either leaving the people who had bought it with a dead-end product, or giving them an upgrade to the one they are going forward with. Personally, I think they made the right choice.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com ? Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software
    Andrew Werby
    Website

My understanding is that new *purchasers* of GeoMagic Design will get Dynamics motion simulation included with the purchase price. Long-time users, who purchased Alibre or GeoMagic Design before Dynamics was available, were/are required to pay a fairly small fee ($200? $250?) to get Dynamics but upgrades to Dynamics after that are included with the annual maintenance fee.

To me, the more important question is what benefits one gets from the $400 annual maintenance fee. The last couple of upgrades have had very meager feature enhancements or UI improvements and long standing issues continue to be ignored. Since V17 was just released a month ago or so, it is hard to see that any significant improvements in features or UI will be included in the "new" release on the 23rd. I wonder if it will just be a new wrapper on the existing package.

Fusion 360 and OnShape are starting to look more attractive.

Mike

One thing though about OnShape is being WEB/CLOUD Bullcrap, you better NOT do ANYTHING Proprietary on it.... You have no clue who or what is recording or copying what your doing. All this cloud stuff... not just Cad, is nothing but crap.
    Chris L