586,104 active members*
3,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > SprutCAM Questions
Page 2 of 2 12
    Hi Steve, I'm glad you've made some progress. You can use dxf files very successfully in SprutCAM, all that you might need to do is join the geometry together to create contours.
    You can view a short video tutorial here that I created some time ago on using dxf files in SprutCAM.
    There have been some problems in the past with using imperial units in SprutCAM, but as far as I'm aware it is a lot better now.

Dave

Dave

Dave Thank you for the turtorial, I did go through that one earlier, but after watching it again I discovered that I was trying to do all this with a Part file not a sketch file. I will take another shot at it with this "new" revelation.
    I know I have not gotten anything perfect yet, but I am doing better now than a week ago and if I keep trying I will know a heck of a lot more next week.
    Thanks again Steve

Steve,

I'm using Alibre Expert with SprutCAM on a Tormach mill as well and have found that it is best to export the Alibre part as an IGES file and then import that file manually into SprutCAM. Using the Alibre-> SprutCAM add-in has created problems for me if there are any circular features in the part. Both Alibre and SprutCAM are aware of the issue (thanks to Dave for the assist with Sprut Tech) but I've heard of no resolution yet.

Also, it seems that no matter how you get the Alibre part into SprutCAM, it will be imported with metric units. SprutCAM has always offered to convert that to imperial (inch) units on import, but I set SprutCAM to default to inch units in one of the Option screens.

Mike

Mike

Thanks Mike,
    I have seen the setting to imperial units but was not sure if imperial was the same as "good ol" inches.
    Steve

Yes, you can do that...

Greg

Problems with Responding?

Hi,

Just curious if anyone else is having problems getting the folks at Sprut to respond to emails. Have emailed them many times over a few weeks time now trying to get a eval key. No response with their registration email and no responses from their support email address. Obviously not going to make a long distance phone call to Russia!

Got a eval key from them once a couple months ago (after about a dozen tries) and then found I couldn't get their software to work, tried contacting their support for help concerning it locking my notebook and no response. Finally figured out the problem was Aero Color Scheme (on my own) but by that time the Eval Key had expired - it was for a prerelease version of the SprutCAM2007 anyways - a couple revs back I think.

Anyhow? does anybody know what is going on with this. I have a bit of a problem spending $$$$$$$ and then maybe they will respond with a software key or maybe they will just ignore? This conerns me plus I still haven't been able to spend anytime evaluating the software.

Have spent some time with MeshCAM (Interesting little package) - which will generate G-Code during eval and also VisualMill seems to be a nice package which is not expensive - maybe not quite as many features but has people right here in Southern California who respond to emails - both cases software evals working without any problems.

So didn't know quite what else to do but try posting here to see if anyone knows what is going on with them - since they do not respond to emails.

Thanks for any insights into their response problem - I really would like to spend some time with their software before I make my final purchase decision,

- Jon

Jon, I am the SprutCAM agent in the UK and Ireland, and I too sometimes have problems with contacting them via e-mail. I'm sure it's not a case of them ignoring you. Once you get outside of the main Russian city's, the internet infrastructure can be quite 'flaky', and I think that this is the cause of the problem for Sprut.
    They contacted me a while ago saying that they were looking to transfer everything to a new server in December......hopefully this will solve their problem.

Jon, send me a PM if you would like to download SprutCAM 2007.......I can get you up and running with a 30 day trial straight away.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 12