I am wiring the controller box for my Bridgeport CNC conversion and I am wondering what would be the best way to set up the home and limit switches. I am using Mach 3 now, but will upgrade to Mach 4 when it is out. I have DC servos and an Ethernet Smoothstepper board with a C25 breakout board.

I am putting microswitch limit swithes on all three axis and also three homing switches. I will probably put my home switches somewhere near the middle of the table travel, not at the far ends so it does not need to move that far to home. I will start with microswitches for homing, but might change to optical or prox switches later if I can't get the accuracy I want. At some point I will add at least an A axis and maybe a B axis with home and limit switches. I plan on adding inputs for a probe and a tool zero input also. Can't think of anything else I might want to add other than the Estop.

With all the inputs I have available should I just run every limit and home switch to its own input now or should I combine both limits on each axis, or maybe all homes to one input? I know it can be done that way, but I don't know if I really gain anything by using separate inputs.