586,082 active members*
3,533 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stepper motor config help

I have bought CNC 3 axis kit from longs motor on eBay (Promotion 3Axis NEMA 23 Stepper Motor 287oz Driver 24 50VDC CNC Free SHIPPIN | eBay) and have connected it. At first I had trouble getting it to run but after I sent a message to longs motor they replied that I need to connect separate 5V supply to BOB. Problem is that 5V psu to BOB isn't mentioned in the wiring diagram! Anyway it is working now and I need help to configure motors in Mach3.

I have set motors to 1A, 400 pulse/rev. What ever setting I choose in Mach3 motors do not run smoothly and stall. How should I set Mach3 motor config?

Re: Stepper motor config help

Do your motors have 4 wires or 6 wires? If they have 6 wires, which of the wires have you hooked up to the driver?

Those motors are poorly matched to the drivers and power supply that they are bundling together. The motors have a very high inductance rating, and ought to be used with a much higher power supply voltage than 24 volts in order to get adequate performance.If your motors have 6 wires, then you should be able to get some improvement by using a "half-coil" hookup instead of a "full-coil" hookup, but a higher power supply voltage will also help.

They are 6 wire. White and yellow are connected to each other. Black, red, green and blue are connected to the driver.

White and yellow wires (which are the center taps of the windings) should only be connected together when the motors are used with a unipolar driver. The driver that you are using is a bipolar one, not a unipolar driver.

If you wanted to use a "full-coil" hookup, you would disconnect the white wire from the yellow wire (and tape them off to ensure that they do not make contact with any other part of the circuit). However the full-coil hookup is not recommended due to the high inductance of the windings.

For a half-coil hookup, you would use (for example) red and white for one phase (taping off the blue wire), and black and yellow for the other (taping off the green wire).

So now I have it connected like this:
    A+: Black
    A-: Green
    B+: Red
    B-: Blue
    Yellow and white connected together.

Should I connect it like this:
    A+: Black
    A+: Yellow
    B+: Red
    B-: White
    Green and blue taped but not together.

Yes.

I have connected stepper motor like stated in the post #5. Now the stepper is clicking when it is running. I have tried to change motor tuning settings but motor still clicks. What should I do?

Doorknob thanks for your fast replys!

I'm not sure from your description whether what you are describing is evidence of a problem or not.

Are the motor shafts connected to a load of some sort (if so, what are they connected to)? Are you single-stepping the motors, or using a microstep setting?

Would it be possible for you to take a video of the motors operating (where the sound can be heard in the video)?