586,060 active members*
4,569 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Table Options

Hay!
    I am building a cnc plasma cutter for my final project at school. Do you guys have any suggestions for hou i should onfigure my table? Please tell me about any diffuculty you had or any things that turned out really well. Please let me know. Also if possible can you provide pics?
    Cheers :cheers:

Sir,

Tell us what dimensions you will use, what type of drive you plan on, which plasma will be used, and any other aspects we need to know.

Regards,
    Jack C.

The table would have a 4'X8' work envelope with torch height controll on the z-axis. Eventually it will have a fourth axis so it will be able to cut holes etc. into tubes or pipe. I think the entire setup will be driven with rack and pinion, except the z-axis which might be a ball screw. As for the torch I dont know yet. It will be capable of cutting 1/2 in.

I have not yet built this machine, but I intend to use floor grating for the table grid. Applied to the floor grating will be pieces of square stock that have a slot machined into the bottom which will locate on the slats of the floor grating and the top of the bar stock will be cut to a point.

This is a fairly common method employed on larger torch tables and is effective - except they don't use floor grating. The torch and laser tables I have seen use flat stock stood on edge with the pyramid shaped plate supports applied to the flat stock.

The work supports (pyramid shaped things) are located anywhere they are needed and are considered expendable.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Arrow Welcome Sheldon

Hi Sheldon
    Welcome to CNC Zone :wave:
    You may want to check this plasma table build log to see if it gives any ideas for the table you plan to build.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...4&page=1&pp=15

It shows progress of a table I built, with photos, as well as pictures from other builders, links to some other tables & a link to a detailed construction plan.