586,419 active members*
2,731 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > router recommendations (Dewalt, Bosch, etc.)?

router recommendations (Dewalt, Bosch, etc.)?

Hi,

I'm ordering a Zenbot 2448 as my first CNC router and I'm looking for recommendations for the router itself. I've heard the Bosch Colt and the Dewalt 611 mentioned. I'd be interesting in hearing the pros and cons of available choices.

Thanks for any help!

- Andy

Re: router recommendations (Dewalt, Bosch, etc.)?

I one thing I do not like about either is they do not have 1/8 bit collet. I am using the rotozip rz but it does not have val-speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jandyman View Post
    Hi,

I'm ordering a Zenbot 2448 as my first CNC router and I'm looking for recommendations for the router itself. I've heard the Bosch Colt and the Dewalt 611 mentioned. I'd be interesting in hearing the pros and cons of available choices.

Thanks for any help!

- Andy
    Hi Andy --

I think there are several things to consider in selecting a CNC router. One is the RPM range. Another is tool weight. Others include: Power, collet sizes and others you may be able to think of. All of the considerations are tempered by the type of jobs you will be doing and the materials used. If you plan to only work with wood RPM range is not as important as it is if you will also be working with plastics and metal.

In a "variable speed" router it it is important to know what RPM range is available. I looked at the DeWalt web site and they give the no-load range of the 611 as 16,000-27,000rpm. It features Soft-starting motor with full-time electronic feedback that maintains motor speed through the cut. That is great for many uses, but it is NOT slow enough for plastics and metal work. That means that you would need an external speed controller for those jobs. Many low cost speed controlers like: Router Speed Control (about $20) will NOT work with the soft start feature. Better solutions like the SuperPID will likely require the variable speed/soft start features to be disabled before they can be used. The bottom line is that a "variable speed" vs a "single speed" router is of little value in some uses.

The Dewalt DWP611 specs are 7amp, 1.25 HP, 120v RPM, 16,000-27,000, weight 4.1-lbs.
    For comparison, the Hitachi m12vc is 11 Amps, 2-1/4 HP rated, 120V, RPM: 8,000 – 24,000, weight: 7.3-lbs
    Also comparing the Bosch Colt which is Bosch PR20EVSK Colt variable speed of 16,000 to 35,000 rpm, 5.6 amp 1-hp rated motor 120V with replaceable brushes, 3.3-lbs. A single speed version of the Colt IS available if you need slower than 16k RPM.

I know of Zenbot owners who use the DeWalt 611 and are happy with it. The LEDS are a nice plus. You can get precision 1/4 and 1/8" collets for it at: PreciseBits Search Engine Output Page. I think it may have better bearings than the Colt, yet it is very close to the weight of the colt which makes a difference when making rapid moves. Also, there doesn't seem to be a "single speed" version of the 611, so you might want to check: www.SuperPID.com - SuperPID-Tech-Info-Support-FAQ-Downloads.htm and ASK THEM directly if the DeWalt 611 is compatible with their system.

BTW, there is a "router choices" thread at the Zenbot forum (see: router choices), ...and if you end up selecting the 611 be sure to update it with your experiences and discoveries.

Best ...

--Rich

Also, there doesn't seem to be a "single speed" version of the 611
    The Porter Cable 450 is basically a single speed version of the DeWalt 611. They are basically the same router.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The Porter Cable 450 is basically a single speed version of the DeWalt 611. They are basically the same router.
    Thanks Gerry! That's good info.

I see that PreciseBits has a whole series of precision grade, extreme precision, and ultra precision collets compatible with the 450 in 1/8", 1/4" and other sizes. It also has the Soft-starting motor with full-time electronic feedback that maintains motor speed (27,000 rpm no load) through the cut, so it will need modification to work with SuperPID and other router speed controllers. The aluminum motor housing is nice.

Andy: the guys at SuperPID probably have a PDF that details the steps required to modify any of the routers compatible with their product. You should contact them and take a look before you make a selection to see just what is involved.

--Rich