584,330 active members*
6,591 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tolerance Using G64

Hello All,

I have just recently started using the code G64. We always used G61 and our Komo was super slow. We have a lot of nothces and cut outs and it was Horrible to watch it crawl through those. Anyhow, in trying to set the tolerance...I went into my code and added the P0.001 after the G64 code.Apparently my Fanuc OM controller didnt understand it as I received an error. Is there any other way to set the tolerance using G64 so my parts are a bit more accurate? They arent bad now but could be better.

Re: Tolerance Using G64

G61 is "Exact stop mode", meaning that the programmed motion of the machine must go to that point before continuing to the next line of code. Yes it will make a machine go a lot slower
    G64 is just a cancel of the G61 modal condition

G9 is a one shot "exact stop" for that line of code
    These codes do not have "extra" address parameters to make them "adjustable" (ie P )

You would normally run a program in normal machining mode, and manually insert a G61 in the program where you want the machine to do an exact stop

You may need to add an option to the machine ie "tolerance control" .... or use a lower feedrate at the critical areas

found this thru google --- link

The post processor uses G61. If your saying G9 is normal cutting mode...I could try that. Is that the normal cutting mode?

Quote Originally Posted by audreys View Post
    The post processor uses G61. If your saying G9 is normal cutting mode...I could try that. Is that the normal cutting mode?
    No, that is not what I said

G61 is "exact stop mode" ON & is modal until it is turned off
    G64 is OFF, or normal machining mode
    G9 is a "mini" version of G61, G9 works only on the line of code that it is stated on

Modal means it stays active until a code in the same group is programmed
    ie G0 is in the same group as G1 G2 G3,
    G40, G41 G42 is another group.
    - A code from one group will not alter another in a different group

If you don't have the option for HSM ( high speed machining ) or Tolerance control, then your only real choices are to either lower the feedrate, &/or alter some parameters to tighten the machine up, in how it's axis drives react when finishing a line of code and starting the next
    - some controls call it an "in-position" tolerance. It is how accurately the machine slows the drives down for ending one line of code before starting the next line. You may need to study the parameter manual

Sorry about that misunderstanding. This is the deal. I changed our programs to G64 code because it was so much faster. We were cutting parts out of a 4x8 sheet of plywood that would take about 20 minutes. Changing the code cut that time in half. I told the assemblers if they had issues to let me know. Instantly they did. interesting thing is, when I ran it using the g61 code, the results were the same, only the parts weren't as smooth. Guessing I just need to tighten up my tolerances in my cam software and that should solve the problem.

G64 is not a(mode), it is a cancel command for the modal command g61(exact stop) like a g80 for a drilling cycle.