586,121 active members*
3,758 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > vacpress - nuclear engineer

Talking vacpress - nuclear engineer

after a strange and dissapointing stint designing parts for BBQ grills at Weber, I have somehow gotten a job designing and engineering complex structural insulation assemblies for nuclear power plants...

as a 26 year old art school drop out(well. i will finish soon, but... still currently a drop out), i feel this is some sort of coup.

thank you to the cnc zone 'core crew'. some of what i have learned here has made me a more competent designer for sure. especially the bearing and electronics gurus. the people here are great.

ciao, ciao.

Congrats! Hopefully this doesn't kill any of your spare time for your always interesting projects?
    Proud owner of a Series II Bridgeport.

Good luck with your career change.

Keep a lookout for DIY nuclear powered project opportunities. Or..., maybe you can come up with a slick way to keep our machines running quieter and cooler with all of the "complex structural insulation" materials you'll be working with.

Heres to goin' for the BIG Bucks :cheers:,

HayTay
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

yes, http://www.transcoproducts.com/prod2.htm, complex structural insulation... what else can i call it?

so far, i do alot of drafting. i actually dont want to be an engineer... but i want to pay rent... for sure...

cheers!

i can picture it now - nuclear fusion challenges solved by new rotisserie reactor. congrats on the job

Is this so they can redesign the insulation at Brown's Ferry and replace it with non-combustible stainless steel so the plant can be brought back in service?

Congrats on your new job.
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Cool and congrats. Remember when designing that no more chernobles would be much appreciated....that extra half inch is probably important!

geof is a psychic

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    Is this so they can redesign the insulation at Brown's Ferry and replace it with non-combustible stainless steel so the plant can be brought back in service?

wow. as a matter of fact, browns ferry is the project i am on.. uncanny geof!

thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by vacpress
    wow. as a matter of fact, browns ferry is the project i am on.. uncanny geof!
    Not really; there are no nuclear plants being built at present and no plans have been announced for building any (or at least I have not noticed any). Browns Ferry, I think, is the only one out of service but still licenced and able to be put back in service. It was a combination of a lucky and informed guess.

sure.. the company is also working on other plants though... but i think browns ferry may be the biggest current project..