586,061 active members*
4,673 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Choosing lathe headstock spindle for CNC build

Question Choosing lathe headstock spindle for CNC build

Hey all, I hope this is the right section to ask this question.

I'm in need of some help in determining a headstock and spindle for a small CNC lathe build I'll be undertaking shortly. The problem is that I really dont even know where to start.

Can I use a smaller headstock off a 7x and upgrade the bearings for higher RPMs? I dont really want to spend more than a few hundred dollars on everything over all. 4000 rpm is my target range. I'd prefer a non geared system as it will be belt driven VFD once complete. If you have any suggestions or concerns feel free to ask.

Thanks!
    Raymond

Re: Choosing lathe headstock spindle for CNC build

You might check with the guys at Shoptask- I built a rotary welding jig and bought a lathe headstock casting from them. It's pretty heavy duty and it's already machined for the bearings- you might even be able to get the spindle.

I always wanted to try one of these
    http://www.parker.com/literature/Lit...ervomotors.pdf

Tried looking at Shoptask and could not find anything. I also checked out the parker info, and does not meet my needs.

I've gone to Alibaba.com and searched Spindle Unit, with a decent amount of options. Is there anything like that in the US that's available? Something Off the Shelf style, not used.\http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...65392.html?s=p

Or something like this from Dunham Tools, except thats far out of my price range. Maybe closer to $1000 or less, as Alibaba may or may not be reliable at all.

No.
    Your prices are unrealistic, if you expect any quality.

It takes about 30-50 hr to make ONE HS of any quality, if you are not manufacturing them in series.
    Materials cost is 500$, for a good one.

I import my bearings.
    100€ each bearing, plus 40 kg in material, plus 100+ hours work.
    My costs are about 700$, and I will sell one for about 1300$.

This is for one with very good bearings (P2).
    A single good bearing is 60$ for 25 mm inner D (7x) or 140$ for 50 mm.

Its not worth it, to me, to make these with P5 bearings (save 100$ in total, no more).
    Materials cost is the same, with much lower quality in overall product.
    A stock chicom 12x HS will do the same.

Hanermo,

I would be very interested in hearing more about your HS manufacturing capabilities. I am in Europe like you, Denmark. Would you share a little more information about a head stock in the 1300$ price range.

Best regards
    Jacob

Ill send you some stuff tomorrow, privately.

Hello,
    I have a Hardinge DV-59 Head Stock that is good for 4400 RPM, Also a Harding HSL which is apart, both are belt driven, both use High Quality Angular Contact Bearings.
    I also have a Servo "X" and "Z" table with encoders, motors and tack. The XZ table fits the HSL and DV-59 Dove Tail. Both are 5c with the tapered nose.

Check out the S J H benchtop lathe build

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...the-build.html

I think he sourced the mini lathe spindle and headstock from little machine shop?

Ramen,
    You won't find them on the Shoptask website. They are spare parts for machines, so you need to either call or have access to a manual with the part numbers.

You don't describe your needs well so that means you have a range of options. Sherline for example offers up a couple of spindles that might do for a light lather. Retaking an old headstock or even a new one from a Chinese import is worth considering. Then there are the commercial spindle vendors like Gillman that make all sorts of spindles and spindle blocks.

You can actually find many USA built spindles if you simply search Google. The vast majority of these are commercial / industrial suppliers with prices to match. A good spindle will set you back thousands new. So one rational option is to look for used hardware. In this respect you can again use a Google but also check out the used machinery dealers. As has been suggested though your budget just isn't realistic if you want anything better than a poor import.

Sorry about not being specific about my needs. My attempts with Google haven't brought me much luck. Import or Dunham tool have been my only results.

I also am realizing that under $1000 is asking too much for 5c capabilities around 6000 rpm, 3hp, and stout.

Are there more options besides Dunham that's in the US? To shop around as I've expanded the budget to 2000$

I will sell you the Hardinge DV-59 5C Headstock complete for $600.00 FOB Los Angeles. Reply to this post and I will EMail you my phone #

did you find solution for your problem of finding headstock / spindle ? thanks