586,106 active members*
2,945 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > STL files - do I need to have that as an option in my Stock Wizard?

STL files - do I need to have that as an option in my Stock Wizard?

Imported a nice STL file of a sprocket with a collar on it from Gearotic. But after going through the Stock Wizard as rectangular stock, and then 2D milling, it doesn't look like I get a toolpath and the mill simulation gives me errors.

So, do I need to contact BobCAD and negotiate the STL as part of my Stock Wizard? I'm using Mill Express and it only comes with rectangular.

Re: STL files - do I need to have that as an option in my Stock Wizard?

You'll need to export it in .dxf from Gearotic to do any 2-Axis operations on it. The 2-Axis features all need lines and arcs. Those can be extracted from some solids, but not .stl, since it's a mesh, and basically doesn't have any CAD-style framework to go from. At least that's my understanding.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

"So, do I need to contact BobCAD and negotiate the STL as part of my Stock Wizard?"

No,STL as part of your stock wizard choices will not help..STLfliles as part of your stock is useful for adding in vises,clamps,etc. for simulation.It also can be useful to represent the first machined side of a multi-operation part..That way when simulated,you would see the whole part.There are some other neat stuff that .STL as stock can be used for,but none involving your gear,if 2D tool paths are needed.
    .STL can be used for 3D,but not 2D.
    Like Luke said,a .dxf would be fine for 2D.
    .step or iges or sldprt all can be used,you just will extract edges for your geometry.

Simple gears and sprockets can be drawn in BoB relatively easy.Go to the "other" menu
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gear.JPG  

OK guys - doing it as 3D seems to work, though I'm really stumbling around with the different options right now. At least I can see the toolpath, and the milling simulation looks like its running - but the stock is way up above where it needs to be. Also noting that I actually see the "finished part" on the table of the simulation. I've never seen a finished part when doing 2D. Is this normal or ?

Getting closer to what I want. But it machines away the .5 collar and leaves me with just the sprocket at the bottom of the stock. I'm trying to figure out a way to do an attachment here. Attached screen shot as word document.

Steve

You're right - using BoB to make this part was actually easier than Gerotic because it doesn't have any spokes. Working with this now to see if I can get it to backplot.

Draw a circle that corresponds to the collar and use that as a Boundary for your toolpath. That'll prevent it from cutting there, but you'll also need to set your Clearance Plane to be above it, to keep from crashing.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

I'll give that a try later - fighting a gallbladder issue right now