586,640 active members*
2,802 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

stepper sizes

I'm looking at building a router tabel about 24" by 36" by 8" and I'm kinda at a stall point. I plan on using probably a 1-2 hp router at the most. I would like to make this so it could be a production machine.(doing engravings for raised panels) I would like to use 10 tpi Acme screws on the table and I'm not quite sure what size steppers to go with. If I could get good performance out of the NEMA 23's that would be ideal but stepping up to the 34s is going to be a push. I plan on using the Xylotex driver for cost reasons and it should be big enough to run the 34s but do I need something that big. I'm kinda a novice at this and just plain cheap.

Has anyone heard yet what the gecko USB drivers are going to be running for price yet?

The Gecko USB "G2002" will be a few hundred dollars at least I imagine but it still needs the G201 stepper drivers with it to work, so you would be looking in the $700 range I imagine.

Nema 23 or 34 motors will work with the Xylotex and 10 tpi screws. Go with 100 to 150 oz/in if you don't want to spend a lot. Steppers don't loose much value so you can always sell on ebay if you want to upgrade later.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

How much do you think I'd be looking at for the NEMA 34's. I found some on ebay 3 for like 200 I think, is that a pretty good deal or is there some place that has good prices on them. If I can't find them for the right price I'll just have to go with the 23s and take it easy.

If you plan on using the Xylotex, I'm pretty sure the only 34 size motors that will work well with it won't be any more powerful than some good 23's, do to the 2.5a limit of the Xylotex. I got some NEMA 23's with 250oz-in of torque on Ebay for about $65 each about a year ago. Most of the smaller 34's I've seen on Ebay that will work with the xylotex are in the 150-200 oz-in range. For $200, how much torque are you getting?

Gerry
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I think they were around the 200 oz/in range. Right now I think I'm going to stay on the small size and see if this is something that I would like to keep doing. I'm thinking possibly a 12x24x8 running the xylotex driver and the Nema 23 116 oz/in stepper motors running acme rod 10tpi. Tell me if you would see anything wrong with this and if those 23's would be able to power it. It would be nice to build a production model right now but I just don't see it being that practical. Maybe someday I'll build a larger servo system but right now I don't have that deep of pockets.

Carl

It will work just fine.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.