586,072 active members*
4,578 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 4 234
    vulcom 1
    thanks for the views of your engine.
    I begin to see some differences between the KJ66 and the SWB 25
    I wonder, does the intake plenum on your KJ66 have multipul or progresive radei? if so how do you manage them on a manuale machine?
    I can imagine using one of these internal/external radius cutting attachments but, that sounds rather teidious to me especily knowing how long it takes to do one on a cnc turning center. A labor of love I'm sure.
    I wish I could help you on the tach and balance but, I did not leave SWB on freindly terms and I'm quite certain they would not look kindly on me asking those typs of questions.
    Besides, I mostly made prototype and one off parts for them and really don't know the numbers of the purchase parts or the finale assembly specs.

Chich,
    I am still in the building stage but close. I am ordering some fittings and other parts for connecting it to the test bench. This is one of the reasons I was looking for info on the tach and balancer. This morning I started on the electric starter (300 6volt Graupner) nose cone and after will look for a bendix setup. Remember reading about one a while ago so will do some searching. I made some 4mm fittings as reccomended for the back of the diffuser so it can be taken apart. I am using 1/8" brass tube for the main line and the cap that goes over the tube is 10/32 for the thread with the tube flared.
    Once I get my parts and the balancing done I can then fire it up. I am going to use standard bearings initially for testing and will keep to low rpm's. This will be okay if I have any junk inside that I don't find and wreck them.
    Will post some pictures of the internal parts when I take it apart.
    Thanks, John

I stripped the KJ partially down and left the shaft on the turbine and tunnel on the diffuser. The fuel ring (1/8" brass tube) is held with 3 ss strips spot welded to the combustion chamber and then tied with ss wire. The front wedges of the diffuser are flat on top but have the 6 degree bottom slope. After I got my rotary table and mill/drill it was easy to do. I calculated the angle for the slope and cut a piece of aluminium. Bolted my rotary table to it on the slope and cut everything on the high side. The side fins again where on the rotary table but instead of milling the fins like they used to reccommend I used a 2" bimetal hole saw offset. This was a tip I picked up and glad I was told about it.
    I remade some of the parts as they came out a lot better than when I first started. Now I am making some small fittings so that I can disconnect the combustion chamber when dismantling it. Not sure how others are approaching this but my ngv is very snug on the back of the chamber and if I mount the fuel line to the back of the diffuser I will be bending the fuel pipe on removal. I am going to see if I can make a small brass fitting drilled out 4mm or so and make a cap that clamps the 1/8" pipe for seal. I have seen the type on larger equipment but not anything below 1/8"npt.
    If anybody has any questions or suggestions it would be appreciatted.
    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parts1.JPG   Parts2.JPG  

Awesome work mate! Very neat! Well done.

Chich

I was looking for the section on the tachometer using the LM2917. I have the diagram but have a bit of a snag as the chip mentioned was 8 pin. I bought the chip but after realized I had the 14 pin. I am not sure of the pin relationship between the two. If somebody could explain briefly what different pin outs have to be used it would be appreciatted.
    I had surgury on my right paw so it makes it a bit difficult doing anything. To keep from going nuts I have been working on layouts using PCB Express and the tach is one and the other is a balancer for turbines.
    Thanks, John

It looks like the different pin counts are the same but different if you know what I mean, here is an application note that gives a little info on the two, hope it helps :

http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-162.pdf

There are 4 nc pins (No Connection) and the remaining two are just wired internally a little different. Hope you haven't made the boards just yet

Russell.

Russell,
    Thanks for replying. I have not made a board yet but have a pcb layout. The info on this chip and I would also like to incorporate a display with it so it is self contained. My intention before I am done is to have a panel with rpm, temp, pressure readouts on a test bench. Would like to make it a little professional looking.
    On the 2917 connections from 8 to 14 pins I think the changes to the new numbers would be. pin 8 to pins 11 & 12
    7 to 10
    6 to 9
    5 to 8
    4 to 5
    3 to 4 & 3
    With 4 4 pins nc the rest should be the same. The drugs I am on it would be nice if this is confirmed. Also I would put the layouts on here for the other members if they want it.
    Thanks, John

I would like to know if anybody has built there own balancer to balance the shaft, turbine, and compressor? I am in the process of making the parts and electronics for one and if somebody has preceded me I could ask some questions.
    Thanks, John

I've seen plans to build one from a turbo-charger. Add a combustion chamber, oil pump and propane.

Just a post to follow the thread.

Vulcom1

i have not built my own balancer...but I was thinking that you may want to consider something like this...

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/balancer.htm

or this...

http://www.myhelicopters.com/rc/Univ...Blade-Balancer

or this...

http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmm1080.html

or try this website...

http://www.technologie-entwicklung.d...cing_tool.html

about 1/2 way down the page...or I could be completely off base

Wyld,
    I have just about completed making the balancer from the web site you have on the bottom of your post. I need the 2 coils and the 3mm carbon rod for completion. Will see if I can post some pic's of it.
    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Balancer1.JPG   Balmetal1.JPG  

Well done John.
    The balancer you are making is exactly what you need to get your turbo shaft balanced. The dynamic balancer you are making is almost identical to an industry built ballancer you will find in lots of Turbocharger repair shops.

Well done

Chich

i've read all the post, what happen with the bike did joel flew it ???? Please finish the story....!!!

Page 4 of 4 234