586,110 active members*
3,249 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Computer Technology > Computers / Desktops / Networking > Have High Speed Modem, and Dial up Using Router
Page 1 of 3 123

Angry Have High Speed Modem, and Dial up Using Router

Here is a good one that someone here may be able to answer. I'm using a High Speed Cable TV Modem (100mbs) but when a Router is connected it's slow like Dial-Up. Router is a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHz Broadband 4 hardwire ports and wirless.

What has been Tried:

Disabled all FireWalls 4 - no change- turned back on after testing

Shorter wires - no change

Reset System - no change

Reset Router - no change

Reset Modem - no change

Hard Wired All Computers - no change

Tried Wirless on all Computers - Router Couldn't find them after lenghty Installing and filling in all the blanks No Connection at All

Tried to find some settings in my computer to change Router Speed - NONE

Called Linksys - no real help

The only way to have High Speed is to connect directly to the modem with a USB or Ethernet Cable. Then and only then is it Lightning Fast.

I'm not a computer wizard, but a Router is just supposed to relay connection to different computers on a home network, right? So why is it like Dial-Up when the router is being used? At first I thought it was just the way it was, but now I think the Linksys may not be operating properly. Then again it maybe something stupid that I'm missing (A Hammer might fix it good :devious: ).

Oh, and just so you know, my computer Has HyperThreading 2 Processers 3.2Ghz each, 1.5GB Ram, and Optimum Online Service (100Mbs service). It has to be a Router Problem.

Any Suggestions? Before We Try the Hammer? Or Just get the Hammer?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails avatar_1218.gif  
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Sounds like DNS problems.

Is the modem a true modem or is it a router too, a lot of cable providers are combining a router with firewall on the 'modem'.

When you connect direct to the modem with 'USB or ethernet' how are you setting the network settings on the PC? Do you have to manually set the ip, dfgw, subnet and dns? If you do then make sure that's in the linksys router also.

If you're setting up using DHCP, that is the PC is set to automatically set its entries for the conection from the 'modem' you have a combined modem router.

For the Linksys router, they're usually pretty good. Sounds like a dns or gateway problem as said before so check you've got the right ip, subnet, default gateway and DNS entries in the router which will need to be manually set in all circumstances.

If you've got a combined modem/router with dhcp then the linksys will see a private network range on its WAN side, you've got to set another range on the linksys private side.

I know enough to get my own stuff working, but not enough to explain how to do it. But here's a little advice. Start with a single computer, and get that working. Make sure you turn everything off at once, and wait a minute before starting everything back up. I've never seen a problem where the connection is slow. Mine have always either worked, or didn't work. Have you changed any settings in the configuration for the router? Good luck.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Arrow Still new at this stuff

The Modem is supplied by the internet provider (Motorola SB4200 SURFboard Cable Modem). During the setup DHCP, WAP, and something else too.

The setup was a pain and confusing. Not your regular plug-in and play like most other stuff. (chair)

When using the router for networking the USB isn't an option. Hence an Ethernet jack is provided. One cable to the Modem and router and three going to each computer. What is puzzling is that my computer is the one most used and is still slow though the other computers aren't on at all.

All the directions were followed to the best of my ability and reset when I had Linksys on the phone for 2 hours.

I have another question. Why isn't there anything in "MyComputer" for the Linksys Router. There was a disk that was installed, but no software to be found. Why? :frown:

Maybe the purchase of a different router to test against the one I already have? Could this cause other problems?

Thanks for all the info guys. Are there any other possibilities?
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Open your web browser and type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar. User name should be linksys and password is admin, unless I have them reversed. This will get you to the routers settings.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Cool Linksys Junk

Well, today was another Router Mission. Reset everything and uninstall Software. Then reinstall Linksys Software and HardWare. It is a little Faster but almost no real Difference in Speed. So I checked back here instead of Using the Hammer.

Ger21, I tried the 192.168.1.1 search in the web browser. A funny thing happened. The Dell MyWay.com (which is Disabled in the Internet Options Menu) came up with a lot of Crap to buy to fix this Issue). The first thing that comes to mind is the POOR Quality of Goods And Services these Days.

Lets all go out and make something (That Doesn't Work the Way it Should) and sell to the general public. When they research the problem, we'll just ask for more money.

First, If you disable a program, why does it still work?

Second, When you buy a product, why is it that you end up spending more money to get it to do what it is supposed to in the first place?

Thrid, How is it that these companies are still in business?

Thanks for all the input guys, but it's HAMMER Time. (chair)

Any suggestions for Routers that actually work, out of the BOX?
    Maybe NetGear or Belkin, but it has to work and not make Ultra High Speed like Dial-Up.

Maybe I'll give it one more chance. This is extremely fustrating. By some chance, did I buy the Wrong Router? Linksys Broadband WRK54G 2.4GHz 802.11g.

If this is the case, I have no excuse except ignorance.

Oh, I already replaced the Panasonic 2.4GHz with a 5.8GHz -$130.00 + tax
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis
    Ger21, I tried the 192.168.1.1 search in the web browser.
    No you don't want to search for it.
    Just type it into the address box and hit enter. No "http" no "www" no nothing, just the 192.168.1.1 in the address box.
    This will take you to the setup page that is inside of your router.
    I may have missunderstood, but I get the impression that you have not found the setup pages yet.
    Once you get them, figure out how to clone your computers ip address so the wan side sees this.
    Honestly there is not much difference between the many routers that are out there. They all use a web based setup system and all pretty much have similar options.

That is exactly what I did (192.168.1.1). Did it 8 times with the same results. I don't understand why. But just for kicks I'll do it again.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Lightbulb

Now I feel stupid (chair) . The last time I did this my home page browser (Internet Explorer optimum online) was up. This time just Internet Explorer (MSN Home page). Why should this make a difference? It worked, now to play with it and see what else I can mess up.

Thanks Guys :cheers:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Great! You got the pages. :banana:
    Step #1 should be to change your username and password in the router from "linksys" and "admin".

Well I got in to make some changes and found that the router speed can't be changed to go any faster. Until someone comes out with a better Router this will have to do for now. If I need lots of speed the router can always be disconnected and use a direct line to the cable modem.

Thanks for all the input.
    :cheers:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Is some one stealing your bandwidth on the wireless?? You said the router had wireless as well as wired, if you do not secure the wireless connection anyone can connect using it. Watch the lights on the router and modem, if none of your computers are on line you sould see no activity. You said the connection is fine when only the modem is connected to the computer so try dissabling the wireless part if you are not using it or secure it using WEP and/or by MAC address (do a search for how to) or try buying just a plain jain router, Fry's has them every few weeks for about $10 for 5 ports (wired).

Another option is connect the modem to one computer with USB and use Internet Connection Sharing (built into Windows) to share the connection with the other networked computers. Make sure you run a good firewall since that computer will be directly connected to the internet all the time. I personally use and old computer running Smoothwall http://smoothwall.org/ Compleatly isolates and secures my network - for FREE!

One other thing. DON'T install any software that comes with the router. You don't need any. Just plug the router in and it should work. I'd try uninstalling any software that came with it. Fwiw, I have a linksys, as do a few friends, and, if you're not using the wireless, they pretty much are just plug in and go, although they may require a few PC reboots, and power up and down the router and modem a few times. But no real setup should be necessary, unless your provider requires something a little different.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

The wireless connection was disabled in the Basic Set-up. That explains why the Card in the Lap Top couldn't find a connection. The funny thing is that I really think this is the wrong Router for the application. The Max Downstream is only 100Mbs. Linksys has a 10,100, and 1,000Mbs 5 port switch. NetGear has the FVL328 which is also 10,100, and 1,000Mbs. I did a search for the Motorola SB4200 SURFboarb Cable Modem and found a lot of info on using a router to connect multiple computers to a High Speed connection. It seems the the Linksys Router is a bottle neck. But the only proof I have is the low performance level when using the router. When a little money comes along I may try the NetGear FVL328. The price was around $300. One of the worst features of the Surfboard Modem is that if you disconnect a router cable it needs to be shut off to reset it.

Here is a pic and a link for the Cable Modem
    http://broadband.motorola.com/consum...oducts/sb4200/
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

The maximum speed you will get from a high speed (cable or dsl) residential internet connection is about 1.5Mbps.
    The wan port of your router should be able to do 10Mbps, plenty fast enough so that it will never be a bottleneck.
    Even the 1000Mbps router will probably have a 10Mbps wan port for connection to the internet because that is more than sufficient.

Between the lan ports it acts as a switch at 10/100/1000Mbps. So if you transfer files between computers connected to those ports it will be much faster than download from the internet. To take advantage of the 1000Mbps speed you need to have compatible network cards or gigabit nic built into the motherboard of two or more of the computers on your network. Unless you are running a server or having friends over for a lan party, you will not notice much difference.

The problem is most likely configuration of the router, which may or may not be cured by going with a different brand.

Talking Wireless works Finally

Wireless working. Now we have internet in the shop. Will this work through brick walls? The Shop is in the Garage which is a separate structure in the back yard about 200 ft from the router. I guess just try and see, right?

Also, there is another router like mine in the area. I made dam sure the connection was right. Seems funny that some one would leave their system open.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis
    It seems the the Linksys Router is a bottle neck.
    I've seen 6-8 Megabytes per second downloads with my Linksys router. 20MB file in 3 seconds.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Talking

Now that I did some research the bottle neck was caused from internet traffic. Any search done in this forum takes about .02 seconds. Speed variations are normal. Well at least the wireless works and I can "Go Mobile" within the boundries of the Router which is nice.

Thanks for the information guys. Oh, and as for the 192.168.1.1 tip. That one was very helpful. Thanks Ger21.

:cheers: :banana:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Page 1 of 3 123