586,114 active members*
3,046 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help Me Improve My X-Axis

Long story short, I bought a table built for me, what I say in the shop I was happy with, what I got sucks. As far as I can tell it's a close copy to Precision Plasma DIY kit.

I've dealt with a bunch of the other little things but the X-Axis still wobbles.
    Pics are worth more so here is what I have:
    While traveling across the table the torch (or router in this pic) wobbles in the direction of the arrows. I don't normally use a Router and don't really intend to, I just had to do a quick polycarbonate part for work.

My first thought was adding a v-rail to the 2x2 tube and getting the carriage to travel on that.
    My other though would be to get a 1" hardened shaft, mount it on the bottom side of the 2x2 and put a linear bearing on the x carriage.

I'm not against completely redoing the whole part, but if I don't need to I would like to avoid it.

Re: Help Me Improve My X-Axis

I would put my x axis (and I did that myself) on some PBC Redi-Rail. It makes a great axis. I got mine from Zoro Tools.
    I have not affiliation w/ Zoro tools other than being a satisfied customer.

I would probably redo the trucks. Use something like Standard Linear Motion | CNCRouterParts or their vconsystem to retrofit. I have no wiggle in mine since it is fully supported.
    Inspiring Thought for the Day:

Some people are like slinkies ... Not really good for anything....but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Standles, I like your idea. The extended rail trucks seam fairly economical. I just need to determine a better motor mount.
    Thanks.
    If any other ideas are there let me know!

Second picture there are 2 long bolts with 2 bearing each that do not look like they are supported at each end of the bolt. I would make a bracket that would support the head end of the bolt. There also does not look like the back bearing are even leaving wear marks.

That was a last ditch attempt by me to spread the load and get more contact. The way he had them setup is that every bearing was almost riding on the radius of the tube and would roll on the edge. Even the eccentric bearings had a 1/4" bolt through a 5/16" bore bearing making the lash adjustment impossible.
    I'm going to retro fit my rails with a flat bar and 2 extended trucks like shown earlier.

I think you had the right Idea but support the end.

Looks to me like that setup would be prone to twisting with a router on it. The backside bearing and gear looks like they are supposed to keep the carriage from twisting around the rail axis but I'll bet that the gear rides up and down (vertically) on the rail. Because of the distance from the rail to the tool holder, any movement would be multiplied by a considerable amount.

Before I tore it apart, I would try a bracket ( a strong one) between the motor mount plate and the bottom bearing plate. Adjustable bearings on either side of the bracket might also improve the rigidity. See if it can reduce any movement. Also, is it possible to reduce the length of that Z axis mount ? That might help also.

Just a few thoughts.

Good luck,

Willy