586,104 active members*
3,371 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sinumerik 808D acceptable for beginner

Hello,

i decided to buy a cnc mill and lathe for my shop. I have experience only in manual machines and this is my first time going to cnc (except 3d printer and CNC router for PCB boards which uses its simple software for files converted from eagle).

How friendly is the 808D for absolute beginner? How hard is it to design a part on Sinumerik itself?

Re: Sinumerik 808D acceptable for beginner

Siemens is powerfull but not easy. Fanuc 0 is an easy starting point.

Hello,

thank you for your comment, but unfortunately the machine manufacturer supplies only 808D

The 808D has been designed to be very easy to use. All the training is available online in YouTube videos. Quick and easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What kind of files does the 808D accept? Can i design a part on PC and then transfer it to 808d?

You can download a trial package of 808D on PC software to run on PC here: https://www.industry.siemens.com/top...08d-on-pc.aspx

After downloading and installing, you can go back to this site and enter the activation code to activate the full license at no charge. With this software you can develop and test part programs then transfer to the 808D control via USB. This will work for the 808D or 808D ADVANCED controls. They are slightly different in capability but not programming.

All 808D documentation can be downloaded here: https://support.automation.siemens.c...dsearch%2Easpx

The 808D and 808D ADVANCED controls suppport programming using the Siemens cycles and ISO dialect. ISO dialect can be used to run programs designed for other platforms like 0i

Best overall training manual for milling operation and programming is here: Siemens Industry Online Support - Automation Service, Automation Support, Simatic Service, Simatic Support, Technical Support, Technical Consulting
    Best overall training manual for turning opertation and programming is here: Siemens Industry Online Support - Automation Service, Automation Support, Simatic Service, Simatic Support, Technical Support, Technical Consulting

Hello

Im raising this old topic as i have still not bought my CNC machines. Teh first manfacturer supplied me first manual milling machine and since it was complete garbage i was happy i did not order CNC-s at the same shipment.

I have started working with my older manufacturer with which one im very happy about quality and support (this are manufacturers in China). Furthermore i got a reccomendation that Knuth PicoMill and NanoTurn little CNC machines with GPLUS are extremly novice and user friendly? Any experience with it? There is so little reference on the internet about this GPLUS 450 controls.

The Knuth machines are unfortunately heavily overpriced (40 000 EUR) for lathe and mill together. For 1/4 of this money i can buy 3 times larger CNC machines from my Chinese manufacturer directly (same place from where Knuth comes). I can get Siemens Sinumerik 808D or some older controllers, Fanuc or Mach 3 interface.

Im not sure what way to go? I want to choose the way that will allow me to learn and start using the machine quickly. I also appreciate the simplicity to quickly design a part on machine directly. I really dont want to get something that will take 3 years to learn and even more to master. I have no experience in CNC machines as i have stated before or in CAD / CAM (except with design spark mechanical for designing objects for 3D printing)

Don’t go with Mach controls on a professional machine. Either Siemens 808d or centroid if you want a quality control with good support. You can learn everything Siemens online from YouTube. I am contemplating one or the other right now for a particular machine but I haven’t gotten a complete cost comparison yet.