586,457 active members*
3,277 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Electro Craft BRU Servo Drives Protocol

Electro Craft BRU Servo Drives Protocol

Hello all,
    Electro Craft BRU servo Drives[/B].

I have to interface a GE RX3i PLC to 8 BRU Servo Drives over an existing RS485 network. I can't find the original BRU manual anywhere online (I've looked hard!).

I know ElectroCraft was acquired by Rockwell -they basically re-packaged the drive and called it the Ultra-100. (maybe my search is over?)

Can anyone suggest a source for tElectro-Craft BRU-Series manual that contains the communications programming reference?

Thanks,

Mick

I think the original software you need to configure the drive is BRU Master or Ultra Master, originally Win3.1, I don't know if there was a later version.
    Did you try Rockwell?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks

Hi Al,
    I've tried Rockwell and now have Ultra 100 manuals that call out the host command. They were also kind enough (strange these days!) to give me the original Bru-Series manuals.

I need to know the RS485 serial protocol as I have to write a driver for a GE RX3i controller to talk to the eight drives.

The protocol in the Ultra 100 manual looks to be the same as described in TimothyMoulder's thread, Jan 27th 2004, so my search may be over - just have to write the code now - GULP!

I have just been sent another manual from Allen Bradley - a complete BRU Series Advantage Line Digital Servo Drive Manual - no programming reference but it reference a "Host Command Reference manual" - I'll ask AB for this.

Hopefully it will call out the same serial protocol. - Any other suggestions (I'm due to go on site next week to parallel into the RS485 network and capture the data - I'd rather be going to confirm what I've done is correct!)?

Thanks for your reply,

Mick

they used to have a link to the electrocraft manuals on the AB.com web site. Still do, here it is: http://ab.com/motion/ec/index.html

Do you have a link to TimothyMoulder's thread about this?

what would be the refrence command signal type for Bru servo drive module?
    I mean is it 0-10 volts or 4-20mA?

Did you come up with the communications manual for the ultra 100 (BRU)? I just found one in the parts bin and would love to able to put an HMI on it for a cut to length project.
    I have yet to find anything on the AB site.