586,121 active members*
3,083 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Machine setup and chaning origin offsets paths....

Machine setup and chaning origin offsets paths....

So if I go through the stock wizard from start to finish and pick my origin, the paths compute properly but lets say i want to go back and change my origin to the opposite corner for example. I right click on machine setup/edit pick my new origin, go to my feature and recompute it just offsets all of the toolpaths and doesn't generate where my geometry is.

If i restart fresh with the stock wizard and pick the opposite corner now it generates in the proper area...is this a bug?

Re: Machine setup and chaning origin offsets paths....

hmm...seems a little odd to me. If i reselect my geometry and recompute then it is proper again. Sounds like a bug to me, the software should just know this and update appropriately....

Its annoying, but thats the way it works. Would be nice if computing all would do the same thing.
    Work: Hurco VMX42/VMX50 - Shopsabre 4896 - Bobcad V4 4axis pro
    Home: RF45 with Ajax CNC Controller - Bobcad V27 3 axis pro

yes..it should...can you say buggy....

Its very annoying especially if its a really big program with lots of features, I am always bound to miss a profile that needs the direction changed and it will machine the wrong side of the path.

On some of my stuff if it has a bunch of features and I dont want to go through the trouble I will find the origin on the machine like it is in the program, say center of the part, and write that down. Then put that XY in my program as a point. Then I will select the current origin point while also selecting the origin point that I want to be at and Translate/ Sketch/Enter/Pick using the origin in the drawing as the FROM and the machine coordinates as the TO. Then use the Entity Measure on the point that was Translated and enter that into the machine as the new XY. Sounds complicated but its pretty easy to do.

all i'm saying is this is a software issue....no way anyone would want this as a desired result. Yes there are ways around it, but the software should be accounting for the changes you make and updating according.

Quote Originally Posted by Beansdiesel View Post
    Its very annoying especially if its a really big program with lots of features, I am always bound to miss a profile that needs the direction changed and it will machine the wrong side of the path.

Contours and Layers

Quote Originally Posted by airbrush View Post
    all i'm saying is this is a software issue....no way anyone would want this as a desired result. Yes there are ways around it, but the software should be accounting for the changes you make and updating according.

Why are you changing your origin after you already chose it ?

just playing around with the software and noticed that exported dxf out of 3dmax my x and y are inverted to what bobcad and mach are. so i reversed my x and picked a new origin...went to compute all and came across this issue....

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Contours and Layers
    Please tell me more. If there is something I am missing I want to figure it out. I always use lots of layers but not sure what you mean by the contours.

Contours and Layers
    Never mind, I just figured it out! I have never used contours on anything except for lathe stuff, didnt even know it could be used on Mill work. Very good to know!

I've machine parts from one stock size, then later I go to make that part again, and the stock I have on hand is not the same size. So update the stock in bobcad, update the origin, and recompute the tool paths.
    Work: Hurco VMX42/VMX50 - Shopsabre 4896 - Bobcad V4 4axis pro
    Home: RF45 with Ajax CNC Controller - Bobcad V27 3 axis pro

Most of the time I want to change the origin is when I flip a part and wind up making all my tool paths before I realize that I need to change the origin to a hole location that went through the part instead of the center of the stock that I did on the other side.

Yeah,I was just wondering,,,,I have a different work flow,,,I like 2 complete different files for 2 OP jobs,,just me,,,,,,on 2 OP I copy/paste/rotate or whatever and then in the new file I do the stock,,which in actuality,would be the 1st time of doing it for that file.So I never encounter those problems.
    Earlier versions,that was the only way really,but I guess it is personal preference.

Thats not a bug. You are talkimg about 2 different things. Setting the origin and defining the stock. No way you want the stock definition to change on origin changes. THAT would be weird!

That is why you can make a circle and add a pocket feature and compute, then MOVE that circle and add a new pocket feature and compute, then post them both out.

So like the guy who flips parts. You SHOULD be using an index system with a well defined stock to do that. But, you CAN flip the part/model and reset the machine setups too if you want...just peoples preference. But the system rememberimg WHERE you selected geometry and computed path through the various changes you can define for the table layout is not a bug.

All you have to do is right click on the geometry for each feature, choose "reselect", then right-click on a blank part of the screen in the drawing window and choose "OK". You already selected the geometry, so it shows up as selected. By right clicking on the screen and choosing OK, you are simply acknowledging the selection you already made as correct. Recalculate all the toolpaths and they will correct themselves relative to the new origin. Even in a complicated file, this takes only a few moments to do properly.

Quick video:
    https://files.secureserver.net/0s07kHDpWwaf0Q

Yeah,I was just wondering,,,,I have a different work flow,,,I like 2 complete different files for 2 OP jobs,,just me,,,,,,on 2 OP I copy/paste/rotate or whatever and then in the new file I do the stock,,which in actuality,would be the 1st time of doing it for that file.So I never encounter those problems.
    Earlier versions,that was the only way really,but I guess it is personal preference.
    I too make two separate files for 2 op jobs and flip and rotate etc but I still forget sometimes to translate the part to the origin point that its supposed to be at before I make my tool paths.

Since I have only been doing CAD and working with BCC for about a year my work flow changes as I learn new ways to do things. I make lots of dumb mistakes along the way.