586,385 active members*
3,498 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Generate tool path for woodruff keyseat cutter to do undercuts

Generate tool path for woodruff keyseat cutter to do undercuts

Hi,

How would you program the woodruff key cutter (thanks ray for the tool name!) to do a straight undercut? My meshcam wouldn't do it. Will HSM works better? What's the procedure? Do I need to generate the tool path manually then append it to the general tool path?

thanks

Daz

Re: Generate tool path for woodruff keyseat cutter to do undercuts

You need to clear the material out of the middle with a standard endmill first, then use the keyway cutter to do just the undercuts. HSM will make no real difference. I don't use MeshCAM, so can't tell you how to do it there. But ANY CAM should be able to generate the toolpath, you just might have to trick it, by "lying" about the tool diameter, if it's not capable of dealing with the undercut.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I generally do a 2D path in Sprut and manually pull my approaches/retracts out of the way so I know I'll clear

Machine your part complete, less the undercuts and do them last.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Menzzer37...+1 your method. On my product I do dovetail undercuts the same way. I also use Sprut.

should i give some play room on the lower end of the undercut surface so the cutter wont rub against it when doing the lowest side?

Yes, I would. Cut the center material with standard endmill and a few thou deeper. That way the woodruff doesn't rub and only cuts the undercut material

Attachment 239090

Sprut 7

This is the tool setup I use for a woodruff cutter to cut a slot in one of my parts, took me awhile to get the cutter selection and dimensions figured out etc. I use the normal tool approach to clear the existing part of the bore.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by LRF View Post
    Yes, I would. Cut the center material with standard endmill and a few thou deeper. That way the woodruff doesn't rub and only cuts the undercut material
    I would machine them right to size. If you have a good tool length offsetter your Tormach will repeat good enough so you won't rub bottom of your part. I know mine will.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Thank you so much for the pic Mike, I've saved it for my reference.

Quote Originally Posted by mike sr View Post
    Attachment 239090

Sprut 7

This is the tool setup I use for a woodruff cutter to cut a slot in one of my parts, took me awhile to get the cutter selection and dimensions figured out etc. I use the normal tool approach to clear the existing part of the bore.

You are welcome.

That little window snip thing is sure handy for stuff like that. I had problems getting the settings right in this window, once I got that straight it worked very well.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by mike sr View Post
    You are welcome.

That little window snip thing is sure handy for stuff like that. I had problems getting the settings right in this window, once I got that straight it worked very well.
    Thanks for screen clip on tool definition always looking for pointers on tool parameters

Wanted to add to screen clip feature.
    I use Microsoft one note and paste all the screen captures and other information on settings of whatever im working on.
    I have machine section A section for sprutcam notes .....easy to keep large amounts of info handy
    My kids all used this to get through school also and it helped them greatly organize information on many subjects

Screen clip of onenote with go figure more screen clips of sprut settings and notes on threading operations.
    Attachment 239216
    Handy as shirt pockets imho
    I make all kinds of notes and clips of fixture setups, tool lists, you name it...
    keep it all in a networked file that I can use from any computer I have "mostly a tablet I use in shop".

md

One comment. If a Woodruff cutter doesn't work, one could use a T-slot cutter instead. They're much more expensive, available in fewer sizes, but they do have the advantage that the teeth are set to provide both top and bottom clearance (that is, one is high, the next low) unlike the Woodruff. That said, I use a Woodruff for jobs like this, and that's what I'd try first. I use LRF's approach -machine a few thou deep on the center- for any undercut, square, dovetail, whatever. Not sure it's absolutely necessary, though.