586,096 active members*
3,004 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > CNC setup confusion on X2 minimill, DM542A drivers, DB25-1205 BOB, & mach3
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: CNC setup confusion on X2 minimill, DM542A drivers, DB25-1205 BOB, & mach3

yes I cut away like you have shown but it is the opposite side the oil passage. and I took it down right to the main body. I also ground down the sides (flats) to about the center of the nut as well. I figured having as much lobe in the slot as possible would help with keeping it tight. and "clamped" in. I did make sure to take the nut off and wash it well in soap and water along with the balls and re pack it as to make sure4 it was not contaminated with grinder debris. LOL I wont even gind in the shop. All gets done outside.

Good work , keep it up.
    innovating the imitated
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLT0IPUIWKw2G8Wdb6c291t_hPqyaEXCFq

Ok yeah, that makes sense. I've managed to avoid having to grind the underside of the table but it might still be needed yet I guess. Don't want to tempt fate and say it's not needed since I haven't tried attaching stuff up to it yet!!

I've tried to protect the oil screw from debris getting in but a bit still did. I've washed it out though and lubed it, and all seems smooth still, so I 'think' I got away with it.

Thanks anyway. I'm pretty excited to have got it to this point. Cannot wait until I can move the table around fully on the PC, then I'll look at how to sort out the Z axis.

Next step is to figure how to control an engraving last (3w) using the hardware I have. I know Mach can do it with a plugin, but in respect of the BOB and whether I need another PWM driver etc.

I understand you can use spindle control for this as it has PWM integral, but my laser already has a driver circuit so not sure if I can vary the power output by feeding it a pulsed input voltage like that. Not sure if it'd be healthy but either way, I guess I need something between the BOB and the wall wart that powers the laser somehow...

hi help my

help my

[have you got any actual pics of the wiring from the DM542a to the breakout board If you can email me a pic or two I'd be in your debt
    [email protected].

QUOTE=Cret;1498732]Hi guys

Got most of my bits together at last at least for the X & Y setup, and I want to hook up the wiring and try out a few basic manual input tests with Mach 3 to check if things move how they should etc.

But I am confused about the correct way to wire together and then set up in Mach 3 for this kit because I've seen conflicting and contradictory info, so I'm not sure what's correct and what's not.

Basically, I've seen the wiring for these DM542A drivers done two ways:
    1) with the + step & dir signal coming from the output terminals on the BOB, and then the ground shared between them
    2) with the + step & dir feed coming direct from the +5v input to the BOB and the - inputs coming from the output terminals on the BOB.

Then besides that, I'm confused about whether in Mach3 the settings should be "Active Low" or not (I've seen a few people say it needed to be for these drivers, but not seen the associated wiring re' 1 & 2 above to know the overall setup), and have also seen comments about something needing to be set as inverted in Mach3 depending which way you wire things. Or something!

Sorry that's probably as vague & confusing for you as it is for me.
    I'm paranoid about blowing something up by making a bad decision but with what appears to be conflicting info I'm unsure how exactly to proceed.

Would really appreciate any dummy proof help here!

Thanks [/QUOTE]

Page 2 of 2 12