586,103 active members*
3,324 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Please advice on this part's holding fixture design (Pics attached)

Please advice on this part's holding fixture design (Pics attached)

Ok you guys have answered all my questions on tools leading me now onto the fixture design of this part.

I've attached 3 screenshots of this part and it's 1.41" wide, 0.57" thick. I'd like to cut 4 pieces a time on a 1.5" wide 0.675" thick bar. I have a 4" shars vise and a stevens engineering tool table I can utilize. I really would like to give the tool table a try if i could. It looks so nice...but I only have a set of clamp down set to work on it. I know this piece probably would need to be set on a two vise setup, machine one side and flip over to do the other side. Am I on the right path?

Thanks in advance.

Daz

Attachment 239200

Attachment 239202

Attachment 239204

Re: Please advice on this part's holding fixture design (Pics attached)

If you are making a small run then it can be done with only a vise. If you are making large amount then a vise and a fixture is what I would do. With two vise setups I would cut the 3d profiled side first. If I was going to make a fixture I would cut the side with the keyseat cutter first in a vise and then do the 3d side in a fixture.

Ben

I would probably do several at a time, in a single piece of stock. Fully machine one side, the flip the whole thing over, and to the other side, then cut them apart with a saw, and face off the cut sides.

You wouldn't need anything but a single vise.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Nice design.
    I would do a single program with 2 sides of part milled in 2 vise or fixture plate offsets.
    Each offset could have as many of that side as you want or can fit .

Also I see some compound curves in 3 directions in your part.
    Following your other questions in other threads. I did not see any questions on how to do those.
    Please capture a screen clip like above of the tool paths for those surfaces.
    You mentioned your using mesh cam before, For this part also?
    What are you using for cad to model your parts?
    md

Ray,

Could you please elaborate on how to "face off" the cut sides? Wouldn't it be easier if i separate them 100% while doing the 2nd side milling w/ an end mill? assume i have all 4 pieces clamped on the vise. Would that create problems? (I can imagine if one of the part is a couple thou narrower than others then it could move during cutting apart.)

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    I would probably do several at a time, in a single piece of stock. Fully machine one side, the flip the whole thing over, and to the other side, then cut them apart with a saw, and face off the cut sides.

You wouldn't need anything but a single vise.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by dalianharley View Post
    Ray,

Could you please elaborate on how to "face off" the cut sides? Wouldn't it be easier if i separate them 100% while doing the 2nd side milling w/ an end mill? assume i have all 4 pieces clamped on the vise. Would that create problems? (I can imagine if one of the part is a couple thou narrower than others then it could move during cutting apart.)
    There are almost an infinite number of ways to do it, and without more details, it's hard to be too specific. But, it appears to me that the two sides parallel with the T-slot are flat. So I would consider facing one, then flipping the part over and facing the other. You could also make a T-shaped fixture the part could slip over, then lock it in place using the two screw holes in the part. That would allow you to use an endmill to cut both faces in one setup.

Alternatively, you could machine the T-slot side, then flip it over, hold it in the vise by the same two flat faces, and machine the other side.

If I was doing more than a few, I'd toss the vise, and build a fixture that allowed me to make 10-20 at a time starting with a plate or several piece of rectangular bar stock.

Regards,
    Ray L.

md,

I captured some screenshots from my tool settings and tool paths. Basically I'm using a 1/4" end mill to do the flat surfaces and a 3/8" ball end for the compound surface. I'd need to generate the key cutter in a different program like HSM or something. I haven't figured that out yet. I'd also need to add a drill cycle to the tool path later.

Meshcam did not generate any face cutting to my surprise. I did define my stock size to be 1.5"x1.5"x.675. I'm thinking to machine the compound side and all the side walls first (all the way to the geometry bottom) while holding the extra material i have on the undertcut side. that way i leave no parting lines in the middle. Then flip it around and put it on a fixture made out of a soft jaw to do the other side. that way my part is all square after 2nd side mill. What would be the best way to generate the tool path to just go around the geometry? is it practical to leave exactly 1/4" space between two parts for my 1/4" end mill to go through? Or should I choose a thicker end mill because its 0.57" depth of cut? My tools are carbide, 6061 alum.

Thanks again...and again

Attachment 239302

Attachment 239304

Attachment 239306

man i've learned a LOT by just doing this little part...it's modeled in solidworks.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Nice design.
    I would do a single program with 2 sides of part milled in 2 vise or fixture plate offsets.
    Each offset could have as many of that side as you want or can fit .

Also I see some compound curves in 3 directions in your part.
    Following your other questions in other threads. I did not see any questions on how to do those.
    Please capture a screen clip like above of the tool paths for those surfaces.
    You mentioned your using mesh cam before, For this part also?
    What are you using for cad to model your parts?
    md

1/4" endmill should be fine, but leave an extra 0.020-0.050" between parts, because you'll want to do roughing and finishing cuts. Obviously (I hope) the 0.57" depth will have to be done in multiple passes of probably 1/8" or so each, then one or two final full-depth finish passes of 0.010".

Regards,
    Ray L.