586,119 active members*
3,522 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Open Source CNC Machine Designs > Extruded Aluminum framing plus linear rails and bearings .

Extruded Aluminum framing plus linear rails and bearings .

If the mods don't mind of course , would like to put out an open challenge to you all . A 4 axis wood / metal hobby / production machine .

Here is your parts list for extruded Alum to work with . ( 3 different profiles to combine ) Materials fell into place for a steal of a price under $200.00 US .

Profile #1 measures 40 mm x 40 mm sq.
    lengths are as follows

11 at 695 mm
    5 at 620 mm
    1 at 540 mm
    2 at 480 mm
    4 at 850 mm
    6 at 1115 mm

Profile #2 measures 80 mm x 80 mm sq.
    lengths are as follows
    2pcs 840 mm

Profile #3 measures 50 mm x 50 mm sq.
    lengths are as follows

2 at 470 mm
    2 at 480 mm
    1 at 600 mm
    1 at 680 mm
    2 at 810 mm
    2 at 815 mm
    1 at 915 mm
    2 at 1470 mm
    2 at 1600 mm

Linear rails and bearings to work with are as follows
    4-SBR 20 ( 480 mm in length )
    2-SBR 20 ( 950 mm in length )
    2 SBR 20 ( 1540 mm in length )
    all fully supported .

Base framing is not an issue but may include 14 gauge tubular steel ( 32' wide x 60' long x 32' high ) additions to cover work envelope with extrusions on hand welcomed if necessary .
    Ball screws are the prime method of travel on axis but rack and pinion is an option , Nema 34 Stepper motors as required . Water cooled spindle or standard wood router Porter Cable 690 model possible .

Beefy machine , yet practical for us small shop / garage guys .

I appreciate any and all suggestions .

Re: Extruded Aluminum framing plus linear rails and bearings .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00k0k_jiCjC2Pso7k_600x450.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	239404

The 2 screw sets measure 100 mm x 760
    with 2 very precision rotary type tables Optikos corp it appears .

Attachment 239424Attachment 239426Attachment 239428Attachment 239430Attachment 239432 Here are the visual profiles and the rotary tables plus . I am thinking the rotary tables will be useless since they would be undersized .

Enough playing with the big kids Lincoln logs as it were . Time to get this machine in gear .

First things first get a sturdy base which is happening tomorrow . A guy west of town has a decent sized tubular steel framed desk that Lockheed Martin was getting rid of . Size 60" by 32" by 32" high , strip the top of since it was wood anyway and had been outside warping and pulling out the screws from underneath . The rough design layout has been going on since the acquiring of the mish mash of pieces ( extruded Aluminium ) . The 80x80 s will be used for the upper supports naturally since they give the most support .

I liked some of the design features of the mech mate and the gantry with the spindle/router in the center . To me it would provide the better support along the x axis deflection wise and a few tweaks with one of the linear actuators ( length ) in making a lower profile set up . Spindle / router height for my sights doesn't need to raise off the table top any higher then 5" and it would be supported on a few more corners than just a back plate mounted to the Z rails .

It may not be a 4x8 table but a 3x5 is still better than nothing at all for the price of current materials and save some bucks to get better electronics in the long run . 4 axis capable is my guess since a few more looks at the rotary table and it will be sufficient if mounted sturdy enough also and the extra rails can be used for a tail stock . Spare from an old lathe kicking around .

So , it's off to clean out the trailer to get the desk frame tomorrow . ( dang wife grabbed the phone , so pics coming soon )

I got an information about the manufacturer and supplier special purpose machine

Are you meaning the Opikos machine ? Looked them up also . Contacted the blue anodized company too . An audio video presentation frame for corporate use in their presentations . Obviously the more expensive pieces were gone and justly so from their end of it . Would't really have done me any good other than resale value .