586,103 active members*
3,446 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Dead Maxnc 15 OL controller need opinions on new controler

Dead Maxnc 15 OL controller need opinions on new controler

Just registered to the board, I have used this forum for alot of valuable information...
    Like most others, here is my delema...
    I loaned my MAXNC 15 to a really good friend. He had it a while and the control box died. He is going to foot the bill to fix it. Maxnc wants $375 for a new control box. I dont feel confortable giving Maxnc any more money. Plus I know that creates a money problem for my friend. So I have been looking around for a new faster controller. I have come across the xylotek controller. Looks to be what I am looking for. I have the stock 145 oz powermax 2 steppers.

What I want to know is if anyone has done what I am looking at doing. Will these steppers work with this controller?
    I also checked out their controller/ motor kits. Looks really good, but I dont know what type of preformance increase there would be with the stock 1/5th hp spindle motor. Which will get upgraded sometime.
    Also, I am still open to suggestions for a controller/Kit.

I am looking at getting this done as cheap as possable because I am that kind of guy. I want my machine to work of course... but Im not going to rape him over it. Friendship is more important.
    Give me some ideas would ya?

Also dead MaxNC 15

Think mine might have been a FORD 9found on road dead) before becoming a CNC mill

The shop teacher before me changed out the drive screws for 1/4 - 20 all thread rod. The stepper motors do not have the power to turn the screw. Where can I find new drive screws and bushings. What is the correct drive screw?

Thanks

JL

Please start your own thread. This was about a controller issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by deaddog View Post
    Think mine might have been a FORD 9found on road dead) before becoming a CNC mill

The shop teacher before me changed out the drive screws for 1/4 - 20 all thread rod. The stepper motors do not have the power to turn the screw. Where can I find new drive screws and bushings. What is the correct drive screw?

Thanks

JL

You actually have a few options. The xylotek, hobby cnc pro kit or a gecko G540 would all work well. If you were just a little patient and in for a small challenge I would recommend the Hobby Cnc Pro kit (this was my first controller and it still runs great). It is a kit with a very good support forum. It will take an evening to assemble if you can solder at all, 2 evenings if you have to watch a YouTube tutorial or 2 on soldering :-) Have you opened up the MAX controller box. Can you identify the power supply? Its voltage and or amperage? These are the parts you could most likely reuse to save money. Can you take pictures of the internals of the controller box? Plenty of guys in the electronics subforum here are very helpful. Do you get any motion or response from your machine?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixittt View Post
    Just registered to the board, I have used this forum for alot of valuable information...
    Like most others, here is my delema...
    I loaned my MAXNC 15 to a really good friend. He had it a while and the control box died. He is going to foot the bill to fix it. Maxnc wants $375 for a new control box. I dont feel confortable giving Maxnc any more money. Plus I know that creates a money problem for my friend. So I have been looking around for a new faster controller. I have come across the xylotek controller. Looks to be what I am looking for. I have the stock 145 oz powermax 2 steppers.

What I want to know is if anyone has done what I am looking at doing. Will these steppers work with this controller?
    I also checked out their controller/ motor kits. Looks really good, but I dont know what type of preformance increase there would be with the stock 1/5th hp spindle motor. Which will get upgraded sometime.
    Also, I am still open to suggestions for a controller/Kit.

I am looking at getting this done as cheap as possable because I am that kind of guy. I want my machine to work of course... but Im not going to rape him over it. Friendship is more important.
    Give me some ideas would ya?

Btw though the soldering can be done in an evening, configuration of Mach 3 for the first time (assuming you have no experience with Mach 3 and its settings) can be a little intimidating but again there are plenty of people to help. It really is just a matter of how fast you need your machine up and running. If you do build a kit or reuse your power supply to power a Gecko G540 (which is a breakout board and drivers all combined) you will understand the relationships much better. It will take some focussed study but it will be fun. Good Luck