586,103 active members*
2,979 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutting advice for cork

Hello,

New forum user hear and new to laser machining. My maker space has just acquired an 80 watt Chinese CO2 machine, 60cm x 90 cm bed, which we are learning how to use. I am having a problem cutting some 0.062" cork and filled cork-like materials (Corkprene and similar) in that the material wants to char to an unacceptable degree. I have tried numerous combinations of cutting speed and power. If I use a low power but multiple passes, by the time it gets completely through the material, the charring effect accumulates as if I had used a single high-power pass. I have tried wetting the material or covering with a damp paper towel, all to no avail; the moisture seems to attenuate the power so that higher wattage/slower speeds/more passes are needed to make the cut and the charring winds up being the same.

The supplied manual is almost useless with respect to providing any practical information along these lines. Searching on-line has also been hit-or-miss, but I did come across a discussion about two other parameters, frequency and blowing pressure. From these I surmise I need to use a relatively low frequency and relatively high blowing pressure. Am I on the right track here? Can anyone help quantify these parameters. Thanks.

Re: Cutting advice for cork

you could use the PPI setting for cutting if your program has it and very important is the airassist in such cases . I cut 1/4 ordinary underlayment cork with my 40W machine with no problem and one run. I don't know this corkprene this could have a filling what avoid the cutting .
    greetings
    waltfl

Not at the machine at the moment buy I believe we are using Lasercut 5.3. Is PPI the same as frequency? What value do you use? I don't think we can increase the blowing pressure above what the is stock for this machine's compressor, although we could probably lower it by constricting the hose.

make sure you have the focal distance correct, I am not familiar with lasercut 5.1 I am using lasercad 6.90 what is the program for the AWC608 controller.
    greetings
    waltfl

Quote Originally Posted by herby08 View Post
    you could use the PPI setting for cutting if your program has it and very important is the airassist in such cases . I cut 1/4 ordinary underlayment cork with my 40W machine with no problem and one run. I don't know this corkprene this could have a filling what avoid the cutting .
    greetings
    PPI settings has nothing to do with chinese lasers.
    CW (Continuous Wave) lasers are not pulsed lasers like RF`s.
    When you cut using CW laser it is just on or off.

Also "upgrading" from LaserCut Leetro to AWC608 for CW laser is waisting money.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

cinematic you are wrong. PPI stands for pulse per inch and is used for the CO2 laser .do you get kick back from leetro?? it sound like so.
    I personal have help quite a few people and know from more who just were not happy with the leetro and very happy now with the AWC 608.
    just to clear up I am not affiliated with any AWC controller seller.
    greetings
    waltfl