586,410 active members*
3,375 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Business Practices > Business Practices / Pricing > Zoning classification for a small machine shop in Michigan

Zoning classification for a small machine shop in Michigan

Hi,

Hope I am posting this in the correct forum. If one wanted to set up a small machine shop somewhere between two and six thousand square feet in an existing building, can someone give me an idea as to which zoning classification would be required for that kind of business in Michigan?

I am talking about a Bridgeport mill, maybe a CNC, vibratory finisher, a parts washer of some kind.

Also...are all zoning classifications in Michigan uniform for all towns and counties? For example where I live we have I1 and I2 zones, for Light industrial and general industrial. Do they use these same codes or classifications in all counties in Michigan?

Also what would be the difference between light and general industrial?

I am thinking that for the above described it would be an I1 zoned property is this correct?

Thanks.

Re: Zoning classification for a small machine shop in Michigan

You can find this information on the website for the town or city you live in. The town or city handles the zoning, not the county. Looking at the website where I live, it looks like they label them as Zoning Districts, and have an LM for light manufacturing, and an HM for heavy manufacturing. In my township, they list machine shops under Light Manufacturing.

I just found all this out by looking at our townshio website.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

OK thanks. So it appears that different towns have different codes in other words i1, i2 or LM HM etc etc.

So what happens when you live in the county, not city limits and in the middle of nowhere?

Washington state

Couple of notes you might also look at
    Zones for a given area can be flexible for these types of small business. light commercial to industrial 4 this fall into.
    A small auto repair or any type of repair falls into this and so does a cabinet shop that makes or does totally different work.

I would look very close at the tax policy for your city inside limits many charge a use tax for value of all equipment used "each year 7% here or 7k on 100k of tools"
    And the reason people locate outside city limits for these types of businesses not requiring direct public service.
    Next thing I would look at is power, 3 phase for high end machines runs into what is called demand read power!
    Demand read power is your bill is calculated by the maximum power used for a given 24 hour period and multiplied by number of days in that month.
    Can be huge cost difference then watts used say in a normal business location or home.
    something to research and consider.
    md

teyu Guest

S&A industrial water chillers have passed ISO9001,CE and RoHS approval, It is green product.

Zoning is handled by the county if you are in an unincorporated part of the county.

Anders35 Guest

Zoning system really important for the cool and clean environment.People use to install it in their house and office and even in the industrial and even in the automotive testing systems.