586,068 active members*
3,687 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Touchplate

Touchplate

I am building a 4x8 router table. This is my second machine. The first was a 2 x 4 running Linux. I am running Mach 3 with may new machine.
    It is running fairly well but I am having problems setting up a touch-plate. Everything works in the diagnostics screen and if I initiate the Auto Tool Zero then just touch my grounding plate to the router bit it zeros the axis and returns 1.5" like it is supposed to. The problem I think is that my router bit is not insulated from the rest of the machine. If I try to run the Auto Zero with the plate sitting on the table as soon as it touches all my motors start moving in random directions! Is there something I have wrong in my configuration?
    I have pin 15 connected to the ground plate through a resistor and my alligator clip to a GND.

Re: Touchplate

Are you using Mach3 or LinuxCNC? This is the LinuxCNC forum. Certainly sounds like something is wrong. Need a bit more detail.

Do the motors move when you touch the plate to the table, or when the tool touches the plate? What is the table made from. What is the plate made from?
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)