586,075 active members*
3,788 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Moving a BP Series 2?

What is the best way to move a Bridgeport Series 2 boss CNC mill?
    I have a flatbed goose neck trailer to move it with, Is it better to leave it whole or disassemble?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wyobmf
    What is the best way to move a Bridgeport Series 2 boss CNC mill?
    I have a flatbed goose neck trailer to move it with, Is it better to leave it whole or disassemble?
    Thanks
    It depends on what obstacles you have to deal with. Do you have any ceiling-height or door-size limitations? I moved my Boss 6 Series 1 in my garage on Friday. I transported the mill on a flat-bed goose-neck trailer and rented a 5000 LB fork-lift to unload it. I chose to disassemble the upper portion of the head, so that it would clear my 7' garage door. I rolled the machine on round steel pipes into the garage. I guess it took me most of 2-hours to get it in-place, from start-to-finish. The Series 2 machine is much heavier than the Series 1. I think they are 5000+ LBS, whereas the Series 1 is approximately 3200 LBS. When I researched moving my mill, I found a lot of different methods. I chose what seemed to be the most common / effective method based on other's reported experience on the forums. Hope this helps!! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good Luck with the move!!

The celling will not be an issue. Just the weight.
    I will have no problem loading it on the trailer, but I was hoping I could take it apart so I could unload it with a backhoe, as I have access to one. Does this sound like an option or should I just plan on renting a fork lift or a crane?
    Do they have rigging eyes or do you just use slings to rig to?
    Thanks

My machine did not have a rigging eye. However, I have seen some photos of Boss machines with rigging eyes. I am not sure if that was a factory option or not. The shop I purchased my machine from, loaded the mill on my trailer via an overhead crane and a sling around the head. I guess you could unload it with a backhoe and a sling if it has the capacity rating for 5000+ LBS. Doing it with a forklift was very easy for me. The hardest part was pushing it under the 7' door; which the forklift would not fit-under. I will be honest.......moving machinery is not for the inexperienced. If you have never moved equipment, you should at least find somebody to help that has. If you drop it, you might as well haul it to the scrap yard; and also hope nobody gets hurt during the event. Sometimes it is very difficult to look at equipment and determine where to rig it, due to weight balance. Once something that heavy decides to go a direction, it is very difficult to reverse it's direction!!

Here is a picture of the mill.
    It has four bolts on the head casting. What is involved to remove the head with these bolts?
    It looks very top heavy, I think it would be better to haul in two pieces, but it also looks like a good place to rig to also.
    Any sugestions?
    Thanks for all the advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c4_1.jpg  

My series 1 has two eyes bolts, you will see them on the ram just behind the motor in the pics here
    http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...ries1Retro.htm
    Hood

Are they 5/8" eyebolts?
    Did you use the origianal BP steppers?
    Thanks

Never mind the stepper question, I should have looked a little closer.

Dont know what they are, they were already fitted when I bought the mill and I havent taken them out as I would probably lose them if I did
    I used modern Hybrid steppers as I already had them on a manual mill that I had converted to CNC. I probably would have tried the originals if I hadnt had these.
    Hood

I'll be asking you some questions when I start changing the controls on my mill, I'm going with gekos and mach 3 also. I just need to get it home for now.
    Thanks

No problem, if I can help I will.
    Hood

on a series ii take the plastic series ii plates off the machine there is a square hole to put a bar in and lift the machine hope it helps a little

Are you talking about the gold colored plate that says Bridgeport Series II CNC?
    Thanks

yes that the one's
    1 on each side of the machine,also u can see the oil line that goes to the head from the holes

Thanks,
    That should work good to lift with and tie down to when it is loaded.

r2e3 Lifting holes

I need to move one this week. Dose it have holes to lift with?

Thanks Gary

Gary,
    If you remove the plastic series II covers there is a 3" square hole and a 3"x8" rectangle hole "estimates only". If you have a big fork lift you can put one fork through the retangle hole and lift it that way. The factory manual says you should put a piece of square stock through the square hole and lift it from behind wiht a fork lift, I think this would work good but i have not tried it.
    The holes work perfect for running chains through and booming to your trailer,
    Load the mill facing the back of your trailer, Run a long chain throught the rectangle hole and chain and boomer to both sides of the front of you trailer, Run another long chain through the same hole and chain and boom to the back of your trailer. Then chain the base down, I hauled mine 750 miles that way. Don't under estimate the size of the series II, I think they weigh about 6000 lbs. It takes a pretty stout trailer and truck to move one with.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.