586,068 active members*
4,290 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc OM-C 4th axis?

We just purchased a used Kiwa VMC with a Fanuc OM-C control.
    The original paperwork with the machine shows that it has the 4th axis option, but the shop we bought it from knew nothing about it and had never used an indexer or full 4th with it. How can we tell if this machine is really equipped with the electronics for a 4th axis? The control has a reference position led and “4th” position on the axis selection knob, but I don’t see any unused connectors on the side or bottom of the electrical cabinet like you normally do on a 4th axis equipped machine. I also don't see an unused axis drive card? It looks to me that the XYZ drive is intergrated into one unit, all our other machines have older Fanuc controls so the layout of the OM is still new to us.
    Also how do we determine the caballing needed, and what 4th axis will be compatible?

Trace the input for the 5th axis home button and see if the ladder is written for the 4th axis. Also this is the page from the connecting manual describing the parameter for the 4th axis.
    It also depends on whether the option bit has been set on in the 900 parameters.
    Al.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

inthezone Guest
    I just recently acquired an a.g. davis rotary turntable, and I am wondering if my bridgeport with a Fanuc O-M C controller can use it as a fourth axis. When I open up the main electronics box, there is a board for x, y and z but I don't see anything for a fourth axis. According to the manual, the circuitry for the 4th axis should be M47-M49 on the AXE board. But I don't see those sections for whats there.

What would be the easiest way for me to determine whether I have 4th axis capabilities or not.

inthezone Guest
    I seem to have found the pdf with our original "ladder" diagram. It seems to have a bunch of settings for a 4th axis, so I am assuming that we do in fact have 4th axis capabilities. Can anyone verify this assumption?

Some Machine Tool Builders do Standard PLC Programs with all the Options with P.C Settings. Depending upon the customer requirement they activate the options.
    In Fanuc control Parameters available for enabling the 4th Axis. if we are enabling Display shows 4th Axis at the same time Disconnection alarm will be displayed.

Check the Control panel for 4th axis keys ( jog, mpg select etc.) and its wiring.
    Check the Inputs of the above in Diagnostic mode with the help of Electric & Ladder manuals.
    Check the PC Settings for this option with the Diagnostic parameter list.
    if above things are ok, then we can interface the Drive & Rotory Axis.

In some cases the machine wired for 4th Axis to connect the standard Rotory Table depending upon the customer requirement.

Your axis switch should show a 4th axis and should be able to switch to it. However, some machines will show a 4th axis yet they don't have one and the switch will not have the ability to move to that position because it's only a 3 position and not a 4 position. You will need to upgrade some stuff if you choose to add a 4th axis and it may be cheaper to use an aftermarket 4th.

Also, your 4th axis card may be located elsewhere in the cabinet. Mine was located off to the side near the spindle controller.
    I swear that I wasn't bidding on that nasty old CNC... I was only swatting flies.

Re: Fanuc OM-C 4th axis?

hello Members,
    With FANUC 21i-MA control, my cnc mill has 4th axis jog button and ladder for this but not installed 4th axis. But cabinet shows that originally machine has 4th axis until we purchase it.
    Now i have Nikken 170 rotary table and i want to interface it with FANUC 21i-MA. My machine has parameter 1010 is equal to 4 which is number of cnc controlled axis. I have also keep relay K14.6 set
    for activation but as i connect table with machine it goes into emergency stop.
    I do not display for 4th axis on my LCD along with X,Y and Z.
    Can anyone explain how to get rid of this situation ?

Quote Originally Posted by wahidbashir View Post
    hello Members,
    With FANUC 21i-MA control, my cnc mill has 4th axis jog button and ladder for this but not installed 4th axis. But cabinet shows that originally machine has 4th axis until we purchase it.
    Now i have Nikken 170 rotary table and i want to interface it with FANUC 21i-MA. My machipne has parameter 1010 is equal to 4 which is number of cnc controlled axis. I have also keep relay K14.6 set
    for activation but as i connect table with machine it goes into emergency stop.
    I do not display for 4th axis on my LCD along with X,Y and Z.
    Can anyone explain how to get rid of this situation ?
    Parameter 35 for Fanuc omc controls the display of axis on screen
    0035= 11111000 (display only x,y,z )