586,082 active members*
3,772 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Way oiling systems

Can anyone tell me about what they have done re setting up way oiling syatems.

I've seen on pictures of Bridgeports etc oiling systems built on.

Is there an after market device or has any one made up a system?

I am converting an X3 and while at it I would like to do something about it.
    Thinking that keeping ways oiled is even more important on a CNC'd machine than manual.

On my mill/drill, I cut some "Z" groves in the ways and drilled oil feed holes in accordance with some information that I found in a machinery rebuild book a friend lent to me. Then using 5/32" ID tubing and quick connect fasteners that I found in MSC catalogue, along with a manual pump from Enco, fabricated up a system. At that time, I "attempted" to control the amount of oil going to the various parts by making my own orifices at the the attachment point using different sized drills. Oil lines were also fed to the ball screw nuts to keep them lubircated. At the pump end, I made a simple log type manifold to feed all of the various lines. You can get the idea from a couple of the pictures in my tag line. So far, the system has worked well (couple three years) and think it is far better than previous attempts to "squirt" some oil on the ways when I remembered to:})
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

There are companies like Bijur that have complete systems that include metering devices at each lube point, and simple pumps , it is important to have the correct system balance to achieve the right pressure, otherwise one point gets all the lube.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Way oiling.

I was able to derive some ideas from this great site. http://www.chicobritish.org/CNC/

I have also read were people have use One-Shot oilers to force the oil into the passages.

Norman

Thanks peolple for your pointers :cheers:

Enco have a couple of one shot type pumps in their catalogue.

Have to have a hunt in Aus. now that I know what is available.

Here's an example of the metering valves mentioned earlier in the post. It's a Mcmaster and Carr part number so that probably doesn't do you much good in Aus. but it gives you an idea. Something like this will keep all of the oil from going on the path of least resistance so everything gets oiled. Part number 2293K13 page 2046 of the online catalog.

Thanks for that Festess.

Unfortunately McMaster doesn't want anything to do with us reprobates from down under

Here is what I did to my RF-45. Works pretty good, just wish that I had known about the pattern that should have been cut into the ways to help with the oiling. It works good but bugs me to know that it could be better, and no I am not taking it apart to fix it!! I will though if I ever need to tear it down for any other reason.

http://ImageEvent.com/tppjr/rf45dove...l/oneshotoiler

It uses all Bijur meters, manifold and pump to manifold hose. The meters not only meter the flow they also have check valves in them to prevent back flow. The way fittings are press on swivels from Mcmaster Carr and I use a automatic one shot for the pump. I got the Bijur stuff off ebay (for a heafty sum). I had to buy several kits since they would not break up the auction but I could not find them anywhere else. I know I still have one maybe more sets if anyone is interested.

Thomas

Has any one thought of going to Bijur for pumps and legris for push on fittings.
    It is best to get a catalog then order what you want. Metering valves at each
    lub point and push together fittings in case you get something wrong.
    Manual or electric pumps are available in many sizes.
    Regards Walt...

Greolt,

Dead Nuts post has a couple of shots on a harbor frieght mill. Just one more piece of info.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19868

Ron

Ron I like what Dead Nuts has done.

Still hopefull of finding a one shot type manual oiler off an old machine or such
    but if I can,t then his simple system will be plan B

We have a couple of lube pumps on ebay right now. They are Lubriquip EO-1 and a EO-3. They are just the reservoir and pump. However, I do have access to a grave yard of old machines that have manifolds and metering blocks. One of these might get you started tho. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that Factory Guy

Unfortunately what is good value or even dirt cheap to US residents often works out not so to us down under :violin:

When we change our dollars and pay freight it makes a big difference.

So I will be having a search at our local old machinery dealers to see what might turn up

Oops, didn't notice that. Make sure you grab the metering blocks off the machine while you're at it. G'day

Quote Originally Posted by TPPJR
    Here is what I did to my RF-45.
    Thomas
    Thomas looks good. I am in the process of a IH conversion and I put the slide and carriage on the O'l bridgeport and cut the groves with a ball mill. But I didnt put ports to the nuts. Gonna have to get to that someday when the round tuit comes back around. JRouche
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Our clients Mr lou have been use G-cord to control the oil system,and i will ask them show us his working,he was installing the solid state relay to be able to turn the coolant pump on and off in g-code.
    we can be this function too in future.but those day just focus the spindle control.