586,116 active members*
3,469 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hermes retro- retrofit

Attachment 241322

Hopefully this image comes through
    New Hermes Engravograph Antique
    Type V7000 made in 1993...not that it matters, all the original guts are gone. It's built solid though.
    My boyfriend did a retrofit maybe 8-10 years ago, and can't remember or explain much about it. He knows there's something wrong with it, but can't remember what, and that it's really slow - he claims it moved 10in/min.

There are no limit switches, but I looks like I can use the bed up to 12" x 21"
    The control box is compatible with Max NC software DOS/Win 98, or some such filth. I've got the floppy discs but I'm not even going to get the old computer out to install it. I'd rather not deal with DOS if I don't have to.
    I don't know a lot about rebuilding a CNC machine, but I've used them, I've got some research time into it, and I've been continuously using/doing upkeep/repairing my Gweike laser for the past few years.

I'm looking into open-source controllers and wondering if anyone has any luck with the Smoothie controller, or can recommend a good arduino kit for a begginer? I'm open to linuxCNC, but am unsure about building the breadboard controller for it, or if I can use arduino with it. I would really like to find a code generator compatible with Windows 7 32-bit OS.... and on the cheap, of course, with good documentation. My biggest concern is that whatever i use, it's got its bugs worked out.

I'd like to be able to keep my stepper motors (unless they are the reason it ran so slow), but I plan on putting in a new spindle (probably a cheap 1 HP spindle from China). My stepper motors are Powermax Model P22NRXE-LNN-NS-00 1.8deg Step Motor .82A Bipolar Series 1500RPM... is this considered a NEMA motor? Are these worth keeping, or should I get something else? I think it used to run so slow because of the porter cable router on it instead of a real spindle, but I could be wrong.

I use Rhino and am thinking about purchasing Rhino CAM, but in the meantime, I've got Vector/Aspire, and plan to play with AutoDesk fusion's CAM capabilities.

I'm going to use it for dimensioning, milling, and patterning solid wood. I make some extremely detailed parametrically-modeled stuff, will be doing some experimental processes with carving and jigging, and could use some suggestions on extending the z-axis.

That's all I can think of right now, I appreciate any help, advice, and links! Thanks!

Re: Hermes retro- retrofit

the powermax steppers have a fairly high inductance.They are nema size 24. a better powermax would be p22xxxA at 6 amp or P22xxxB at 3 amp. you did not reveal what your controller card is and the size of your power supply. you could just upgrade the motors if your controller can handle it. Hopefully you have something that can handle 24-30 volts and at least 3 amps.

Re: Hermes retro- retrofit

Thanks,
    The control box with integrated power supply (and no amplifiers) is for MaxNC, and the writing on the breadboard inside is "MAXNC 10" I found that some MaxNC controllers could be compatible with Mach3, so I'm looking into that, but so far, I think this one may be too early for that compatibility. Thanks for the advice on the stepper motors. I will look into new ones once I get the controller figured out. I'm thinking arduino or smoothie might be the way to go if I can't find something that will work with this controller card.