586,116 active members*
3,556 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tapping G10 Garolite Material

I'm having some issues tapping G10 material in my shop, seems it's just eating right away and boring my hole right out. Anyone have an example of their speeds and feeds that I can take a look at and try to implement.

Re: Tapping G10 Garolite Material

Still having issues with this; I have tried several speeds and feeds and nothing seems to help much. The Haas we are using is locked out of spindle and feed overrides for the duration of the tap as a function of the machine. So I know that the spindle speed and the feed are not changing. It seems it is wiping out the threads it makes going down once it begins travel back out of part. Anyone offer some help to this?

Tool Library problems within CAMWorks I have fixed the issue.

Wrong feed rate?

I actually had been using CamWorks and for some reason even though I define the tool as say a 7/16-14 UNC tap by naming the tool diameter and lengths and such. Nonetheless, CamWorks creates a default template when creating tools and decides for you what it wants to tap the given hole. Even though I altered the parameters the default speeds and feeds for the general defined tap stayed in place and were unable to edit. So scenario: "I create a new tap tool in my program to load into my library by selecting that I'd like to tap a given hole, CamWorks generates a basic tool plan that it allows you to edit and say tweak to make it the way you'd like. The only problem is CamWorks selects a tool from its own integrated library which is a constant for the given operation. (If I select tap is generates a 1/4-20 Tap every time even if I have an existing 1/4-20 tap in my own slef made Library.) It then loads the speeds and feeds for the given tool, so if you stay with this tool and change it's definition to be that of a different tap it still maintains the 1/4-20 tap speeds and feeds generated. This led to me basically boring out my holes that were to be tapped. I will be looking to turn off this suggested tool default that CamWorks has it proves to be quite disruptive." Hope that maybe I can save someone the time when they go surfing for this answer. Thanks you guys!

Yeah I always check my feed rates. Got bit on that before.

i was going to say ive never had any problems tapping g10, e machine a ton of the stuff, tap from 4-40 up to 3/8-16 holes in the stuff no problem. I sure hate the smell of it though, i run a rougher through the crap at 140ipm and it makes a nasty cloud of smoke.

Im pretty sure it was my fault though. But now I always look at the box to verify the pitch.

Yeah, I've found that if you have the time and you don't need to rush. DON'T. Garolite isn't very forgiving to your tools. Also, SUPER ABSORBENT. Forgetting to turn coolant flood off....that's a no, no. I've found the niche for tapping as far as this material goes. No smoke, no screech, great thread. I ran it about 14 in/min also.
    "The one who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd..."
    -Albert E.