586,058 active members*
3,455 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: powermax45

powermax45

Hi, I am considering buying the pm45 for my cnc table but have a few questions.

1. is this a high frequency unit or have high frequency start?

2. if I get the unit with hand torch can I plug into the cnc port to activate the torch on/off? if not and I run wires in the handle will this void my warranty?

3. I don't see a earth ground lead on the unit is it ok to earth ground my table?

thks scott

Re: powermax45

The PM45 is not a high Freq. start. I cannot ground my table to earth or it messes up with the DTHC. I had to make a connection between two wires inside the box in order to use the hand torch. Pretty easy and Tom Caudle can tell you which two wires to connect. He won't do it publicly, but will send the info in an email. I imagine it might void the warranty.
    Lee

First you need to contact us on the grounding issue. It indicates there may be an issue with the PWM sender unit. The modification is not in the Torch handle and is easy to do and undo. Users have not reported any denial of warrnty for a 45 with the modification but if there is a concern it can be undone in about 2 minutes.

The Powermax45 is a blowback start system, does not use high frequency for starting.

The start signal on the CPC interface port is non-functional when used with a hand torch for safety reasons. If you rewire the unit to allow a remote start signal....it will not void the warranty, unless your wiring caused an internal failure.

There is a work connection...that goes from the power supply to the cutting bed on your table. This is not a ground, but a return path for the cutting voltage. The input electrical wiring has safety ground that is wired into your electrical panel grounding system. There is no need to ground the power supply chassis to earth ground.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by planescott View Post
    Hi, I am considering buying the pm45 for my cnc table but have a few questions.

1. is this a high frequency unit or have high frequency start?

2. if I get the unit with hand torch can I plug into the cnc port to activate the torch on/off? if not and I run wires in the handle will this void my warranty?

3. I don't see a earth ground lead on the unit is it ok to earth ground my table?

thks scott

ok thks for all the info everyone. I went with a pm45 with machine torch. no interference problems working great!