586,033 active members*
3,596 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gerber Router Spindle trouble

So i have a gerber router. I was running it today on some mdf and i hear the spindle bogging down alittle bit. So i go over the machine and see smoke rolling out of the spindle. So i emergency stop it and take the bit out of the cut and shut the spindle off. While its slowing down it pops the breaker. So anyways. I let it cool down forawhile. Try turning it on and its turns on but its sqealing realy loud.

So there is something wrong with my spindle. And i need to get it repaired or a new one ASAP. I have no idea who makes the spindle. There is no one marking or name on the spindle. There is a tag on it from someone who i think serviced it once though. Its not a big spindle. the frame on it is 4-1/2" Dia. It runs from 10k rpm to 22k rpm. It runs off 110v and pulls about 12amps so i figure its about a 2-1/2" HP or so.

So anyone know of a good place to get it looked at or a good place to buy small spindles. I realy dont want to put a standerd router on there since i use the router everday for hours. And a standerd hand held router aint ment to be used that much.

spindleservice Guest
    @Smackre,
    we may be repairing this spindles. Just send me a photo.
    We do repair wood working spindles like IMA or HOMAG and WEEKE, HOLZHER ...
    see ya,
    spindleservice.com

i have been told that it is a Industerial Porter Cable 3-1/4" HP Spindle that was manufactured about 10 years ago. I found a sticker on the back of the spindle of a place localy that repaired it once. I sent it to them last friday.

This is not the best picture but here is one. This was when i was rebuilding the machine. The spindle is sitting on the table.
    http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/uploa...7102_thumb.jpg