586,065 active members*
4,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Dust/Chip Control...CNC Dust Enclosures

Dust/Chip Control...CNC Dust Enclosures

How have you handled dust and chip control with a DIY CNC router table?

Pictures of what you used and how you implemented it would be appreciated.

Thanks

TMT

Here was my solution. Keeps the noise way down too.
    Colin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsf.JPG   dsf (1).JPG   dsf (3).JPG  

thats really nice, do you have a hole that you can plug a shop vac in to? Or do you let it fill with dust and suck it all up once its all done? Nice little bench top by the way.

I just let it run and vacuum it out after. There is LOTS of room for chips and dust to accumulate without getting in the way of the moving table. When I cut something really nasty like MDF or carbon fibre, I just let it sit for a few minutes to let the dust settle before I open it up.
    Colin

Hey Too Many,
    How about one of them central vacuum cleaners mounted in another room?
    You could hook it up to the little woman's house and maybe you could get
    some monies from the house budget..... Just thinking how to reduce the cost.
    Regards Walt.
    Piped in to the enclosure and running would help to clear the air.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I am surprised that more responses have not been made....every CNC machine makes chips and dust....so how is it handled?

TMT

My solution so far

I am using a little more conventional setup to help control dust. I purchased a mount for my Porter Cable 7518 router from K2CNC and it included a dust skirt and vacuum hook up. I attached my 600 cfm dust collector. It does an ok job. The dust skirt from K2CNC is only attached to 3 of the 4 sides with the 4th side shipped loose. They leave it up to you to figure out how to mount it. Once that is added, I think it will be much better.

Still is better than nothing.

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Router Finished Pics 003.jpg  
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

My solution is almost like Hack's. It works pretty well. I am thinking of building a enclosure for my machine also. I was thinking of building one kinda like the one that was on K2's website, I cant seem to find it now( anyone know where it's at?). Here are a couple of photos of what I have now.

Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

the dust skirt seems to be the most popular part for the job but I am not a fan I have used this on a few machines and dose a very poor job I do not have a machine I can tinker with yet to try my own ideas but I am wondering if there are any other ideas out there. I like the fully enclosed look but that just dosn't work for bigger machines

Quote Originally Posted by automizer
    the dust skirt seems to be the most popular part for the job but I am not a fan I have used this on a few machines and dose a very poor job I do not have a machine I can tinker with yet to try my own ideas but I am wondering if there are any other ideas out there. I like the fully enclosed look but that just dosn't work for bigger machines
    The dust skirts on our 10HP routers at work work very well. Provided that the brushes are long enough to reach the worksurface and totally enclose the cut. And you use at least a 1000 cfm dust collector. A small vacuum line like Rob's using just can't pull enough volume to be really effective, although I'm sure it's a LOT better than nothing at all. On our machine, even with long tools that keep the brushes off the work, the fine dust still gets picked up, and the larger chips fall to the floor. None, or very minimal airborne dust. But even a large dust collector won't get all the dust packed into the cut.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I think as Gerry pointed out the key is to try to keep the brushes touching the work. I made mine so that I could interchange serveral different length brushes depending on the lenth of the bit and thinkness of the material or depth of the cut. But I don't think anything will control dust as good as an enclosure.
    Robbie

Quote Originally Posted by Too_Many_Tools
    How have you handled dust and chip control with a DIY CNC router table?

Pictures of what you used and how you implemented it would be appreciated.

Thanks

TMT
    Again thanks for the responses...so far.

Come guys....everyone is building CNC routers and no one is posting their enclosure pictures?

What do you do with the dust? Stand there and holding a vaccumm while the machine runs? LOL

In all seriousness...does anyone have a link to some good commercial enclosures for ideas....or a discussions of the different methods of building an enclosure.

Thanks

TMT

Again thanks for the responses...so far.

Come guys....everyone is building CNC routers and no one is posting their enclosure pictures?
    You can see pictures of JGRO's and my enclosures on this thread started by "corrie": http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...ight=enclosure.

What do you do with the dust? Stand there and holding a vaccumm while the machine runs? LOL
    No, for now, I vacuum my dust afterwards. One day I'll add a cyclone vacuum attachment so that it can be done in cycle.

I hope that gives you some ideas,

HayTay
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

I made a simple cyclone on a 5 gal. bucket, and now have a delta dist collector hooked to it, cutting MDF with no problem with dust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First_Prototype_Cyclone_(1).JPG   dust skirt Installed.JPG  

I like the approach used on this CNC (http://www.rainnea.com/cnc_5axis.htm) and I will be doing something similar.

My machine has 1000 * 1500 base and 600 sidewalls. Because I have raised the X axis, I will be able to box under the X on both sides easily. For front and back where the material goes in, I will have hinged frames. That will at least stop the dust spilling out of the CNC machine (except out of the top)

Under one of the X axes, I can put blowers and under the other X axis I can put suckers (with dust collectors) so that there will be air movement going across the cutting envelope. That hasn't happened yet so I can't tell you how effective it will be.

Andy
    Drat, imperfection has finally stopped working!!

Just to add to above. I could also easily put a roller blind mechanism at the front of the machine and another one at the back and attach them to the gantry. (That is easily done for me as my gantry is mounted horizontally with the Z axis between the two gantry beams)

I will then have a totally enclosed cutting envelope.

As my machine is on a stand, I could just use roller blind fabric with weights on and let gravity do the work. I'd probably also have to spring load to the floor to stop bouncing when the gantry changes direction rapidly.

Andy
    Drat, imperfection has finally stopped working!!

Thanks for the responses....

It sounds like those who do try to practice dust control tend to do it at the point of production.

The enclosure that was shown was a good design.

Thanks again.

TMT

I really like this idea from Haas (Click Here for Link)