586,103 active members*
3,859 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Linear Actuator Rails and Carriage

Linear Actuator Rails and Carriage

Hello,

I am trying to design and build a simple linear actuator. The purpose is to learn from this initial project before buying and building a full CNC mill and lathe. The far out goal is a CNC mill and lathe that can cut metal pieces with diameters <90 mm and lengths <100 mm. The parts will need to be about .01 mm tolerance. Though for right now I am just building a linear actuator that will most likely be shorter than 160 mm.

I will most likely use a rolled ball screw, two back to back angular contact bearings, a journal bearing for the floating end and now the question is the rails and carriage system. I am trying to figure out the most rigid and cost effective solution for rails and carriage. I read the ball screw basics thread and that was fantastic. I was wondering if anyone knew of a truly comprehensive thread on the topic of rails and carriages for linear actuation. I have been scouring through threads and learning quite a bit but would benefit from something more comprehensive.

I am getting some mixed reviews on one rail verse two. It is clear that two will be more rigid but I am always wary of making perfect alignments at a home shop. As well, two rails will be more expensive than one.

I also need to learn more about proper methods for attaching the rails and the bearing mounts, as I don't want to negate any expensive accuracy and rigidity with poor methods of attachment.

Feel free to add in any tips on building a ball screw linear actuator, all help is very much appreciated.

How many bearings you need?

Re: Linear Actuator Rails and Carriage

The linear guideway manufacturers publish on-line catalogs. These catalogs have very instructive tech sections that have all the info you might need.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Re: Linear Actuator Rails and Carriage

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
    The linear guideway manufacturers publish on-line catalogs. These catalogs have very instructive tech sections that have all the info you might need.

Dick Z
    If you still need help after this^ then you can try the following site...
    http://www.motionmarketplace.com/marketing/nb/

Good Luck,
    Frank