586,080 active members*
3,598 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Starting off!!

Whats a good cad program for beginners or someone just starting a business? Please take in mind that i am just starting off so i dont have alot of money to spend.

Thanks

I like RhinoCad, you can download the demo and the only cripple is you can't copy or paste drawings or pictures and you can only save 25 times. After your 25th save, it just won't let you save anymore, it doesn't lock you out. Thier tutorials are great and there are MANY plug-ins depending upon the type of work you do. I use RhinoCam for my CAM system, there is also MadCam, and atleast one for shoe sole manufactures and quite a few for jewelry makers.
    Don't get sucked in BobCad, the only reason you see so many posts about BobCad is because they suck in so many newbies and thier software sucks. Rhino is comparable to Solidworks, starts at $900 and add your plug ins from there, vs one of the full feature programs such as Solidworks, MasterCam, ect costing $5k and up.

Wiks

Hello Wiks.
    I am kinda new myself. I call myself a hobby type person, there fore I am not flushed with cash. I found a program called CAM BAM. Its called a cam program , but I draw just about anything I could want in it. It also has a forum that is second to none , Really great for new people. I have no financial connetion with this company. They have two versions, One is free and I mean totally free. Then the other one is a pro version. I up graded to the pro setup, has a few more bells and whistles and is really reasonable , The web would be, www.cambam.co.uk .I couldn't be happier. c.sitas

You DID ask about CAD not CAM.

I would try/use some of the available free options and see what suits my fancy before buying.
    This is a great 2d from UGS. http://solid-edge-2d-drafting.software.informer.com/
    I would also try Alibre Xpress for free solid modeling. http://www.alibre.com/promos/online/easy3DCAD_c.asp
    www.integratedmechanical.ca