586,121 active members*
3,415 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport R2E4

Need help programming machine from front panel

You will still need the book. Example: Even in MDI or MDI store, the machine will not define what it needs clearly enough for the three Z values in a deep hole drilling cycle, all unsigned incremental values (total depth from clearance point, first peck, each additional peck). Try putting in a negative value and it drills up!
    It would be well worth your trouble to hook up a pc to the machine as editing and programming through the front panel is brutal.
    You need to find someone close to you with knowledge of a BOSS 9 and spare time, it will be very hard to give you a course on this forum.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

R2e4

George, thanks for the reply. I do have a cd manual from Machine Manual Services but it is not very clear on how to use the MDI,MDI save or the editor.As you can tell I'm very new to CNC milling and appreciate any and all help.
    PS Do you know were i can get a cable to run the DNC

Thanks Stephen

There are actually 4 manuals for this machine. Maintenance, parts, programming, and operating. It sounds that you do not have the operating manual.
    Search Ebay and machinemanuals.net as there was a BOSS communicating kit for about 50 dollars including software. Port A is used for editing and program transfer. Port B is for DNC and for program transfer by software called EZLINK.
    MDI executes a line of program and forgets it.
    MDI STORE does the same but remembers it so you can build a program into memory. It does have a help function where it prompts you for what it needs but does not give enough detail.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks George I will look on ebay for a cable.

Ezlink Source

Hi I am going to try to connect up an old PC running windows 3.1 to my R2E3 (Boss8) so that I can load simple programs. Can you let me know where I can obtain a copy of EZLINK?
    Thanks Steve
    SteveSteve

Need Email address to send files.

George

I also have a R2E3 with a Boss 8 control. The person I bought it from was downloading programs by way of a RS232 that he installed on the mill. I'm not having any luck with communication between mill and PC. Using free downloaded DNC program. Any info on the EZLINK would be appreciated. [email protected]

Thanks for sending a copy of EZLink. Unfortunately Outlook blocks all exe attachments so it did not get through. Please can you rename it (something like ezlink.zip) I will then rename it back when I receive it. Alternatively you could send it as a real zip file. Thanks [email protected]
    SteveSteve

George i found a cable on ebay and it works, can now load my G code programs without any problems. Thanks for the help. Stephen

steve what do you need, on programing from front panel

Status update

My mill has been working just fine by programming in simple G code using ezlink. Currently I am updating software to full CNC using Sheetcam and Mach3,
    SteveSteve