586,470 active members*
3,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Can someone help with Mach3 settings?

Can someone help with Mach3 settings?

Ok I built the router. But I need some help with Mach3. I have to admit that I don't know what a lot of the settings mean. I'm running Mach3 with the Xylotex 3 axis setup. I have the videos to watch for Mach3 but I was wondering if someone had a quick start guide for my setup. It seems to be a very popular setup.

I know I'm cheating and trying to do things the easy way. But I'm a newbie to this. Hell until yesterday I though Vcarve wizard would run the motors. LOL! Can you tell I’ve only been paying attention to building the router and not the software end of it! Thanks in advance for the help! Rev.

You best source of MACH3 support is their yahoo group (MACH1MACH2CNC) although you may find most of the discussions pretty advanced since all lot of us have been using the software since it was Master5 in 2001. The problem with just sending you a "setup" is that most of the parameters are either table specific and are done by trial and error or they are user preferences like screens and such. Another really good source is their offical support site at www.MachSupport.com.

I can give you the basic pin settings for a Xylotex:

X Step = Pin 2
    X Dir = Pin 3
    Y Step = Pin 4
    Y Dir = Pin 5
    Z Step = Pin 6
    Z Dir = Pin 7

Beyond that it all depends on how you built your table. Motor tuning is one of those parameters that is different for every table.

Sometimes there is no shortcut for having to learn when technology is involved (:-)

We make a series of interface products for the Xylotex boards and our cards have basic MACH3 setups and screens but they are designed to match our cards.

Http://www.CandCNC.com

Thanks for the reply. I understand the trial and error issue. I will continue to read and learn. Can I ask if the pins you gave are for inputs or output or motor. Thanks Rev.

Can you give me an order things should be done in. Like what would be the first thing you would do to setup the porgram and so on. Thanks Rev.

Quote Originally Posted by Revtech
    Can you give me an order things should be done in. Like what would be the first thing you would do to setup the program and so on. Thanks Rev.
    I know that once you get your CNC table done you want to jump in and cut something, QUICK! Don't do it, take your time or you'll wind up breaking bits and frying your Xylotex board. This will result in even longer delays. REMEMBER, never, ever, connect or disconnect anything from the Xylotex board with the board powered up. You will let the magic smoke out (just look at all of the posts on this board about people frying their HobbyCNC and Xylotex driver boards, it's amazing!). Unplug the board from the power source before changing any wires.

The first thing I did was print out a hardcopy of the Using Mach3Mill manual. Next, I sat down and actually read the manual from cover to cover. Yes, there is a lot of stuff in the manual that doesn't really concern you at the moment (home switches, limit switches, plasma cutters, coordinate systems, etc.) but you'll actually absorb some of the material and be better prepared once you get things working. Get some small Post-It Notes or dog-ear the pages that are pertinent to your current needs such as port addressing, I/O signals, ports and pins (refer to your Xylotex manual* or Torchhead's previous post), step calculations and motor tuning, etc. Almost all of that information is found in Using Mach3Mill Chapter 5: Configuring Mach3 for your machine and drives.

*You did print out your Xylotex manual and read it, too, I hope.

Start with one axis, say the X-axis, and get it working to your satisfaction. This may take several hours, or several days, of tweaking. Take notes. Once you get one axis behaving properly, setting up the other 1-3 axis is pretty much a snap.

Then you get to try air-cutting a few objects. Start simple with a few squares, circles, triangles, etc. and watch for lost steps, motor lock ups, and other erratic behavior. Adjust your motor tuning as necessary. Just like driving a vehicle, fast is not always the best. If everything is OK, try a more complex air-cut like the roadrunner g-code included with Mach2/3. If that goes well, then it's time to start butchering wood and plastic.

Check out the Mach3 Video Tutorials, especially the following:
    1) Downloading and Installing
    2) Hooking up Inputs and Outputs
    3) Screens - An Overview
    4) Coordinates / Homing
    The videos that Art has provided are a valuable resource and time saver. Make sure you take a look at them.

Mach3 is a powerful program, take your time to fumble through the various screens and setup parameters. You'll be better off in the long run. There probably isn't a single Mach3 user on this forum who has used the simply "set it and forget it" approach to Mach3. We are constantly adding features to our tables and finding out what all of the "other" Mach3 screens, buttons, controls, and input fields are for.

Another helpful hint: Label all of your wires. This will avoid confusion and mis-wiring. While you may know which wires are which now, I'll bet it's a different story in a couple of weeks or months.

Remember, it's the journey,

HayTay
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Quote Originally Posted by Revtech
    Can you give me an order things should be done in. Like what would be the first thing you would do to setup the porgram and so on. Thanks Rev.
    1) Watch the first video.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Do you have a link to "Using Mach3Mill " It's not under the help tab and it's not in the downloads of mach3. And you are right i want to jump right in, dosen't everyone. LOL! I do know there is a learning curve. The reason I asked such a Flamable question is because I did not find a manual, all I found were the videos. So if you can help by pointing me to the manual I will start reading. Thanks Rev.

Nevermind i found it! Thanks Rev

Keep in mind that there are probably a lot of features that are not yet in the manual, because Mach3 changes so fast.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)