586,117 active members*
3,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Proxxon MF70 & GSimple - need some help

Proxxon MF70 & GSimple - need some help

Hi,

I'm new to CNC - I've had a MF70 for a year or so which I use to help with my modelmaking hobby, but as an xmas present to myself I've just converted it to CNC with the kit from idee-genali.

I've got the hardware & electronics all set up, and can jog the mill around from Mach3 but I'm a bit stuck on the next stage.

I've installed GSimple to generate my projects on, but it would appear I need some sort of configuration set-up to 'define' my MF70 limits & capabilities.

The main config for GSimple has a Proxxon option in one of the drop downs, but selecting that brings up a 'file not found' - looking at the config file it lists specific configs for other machines that are in the program folder, but not the one for the Proxxon. I assume I can just take one of the others, rename it and change all teh settings to suit - but that's where I get totally lost.

Has anyone got this combination up & running & would be able to guide me though ?

Many thanks in advance
    Ant

Hi,

your CAM needs to know the cnc controller you use.
    In this case it would be Mach3 not the MF70 - so you'd need to select a Mach3 configuration.

Christian
    My CAM Software and CNC Controller: www.estlcam.com

Hi Christian

The other config files definitely seem to be machine specific, not controller specific...

Ant

Hi,

I don't know GSimple but machine specific settings seem pretty strange to me - especially as the MF70 is no CNC machine at all unless converted.

The only machine related thing the CAM may be interested in is axis travel and some geometry information to decide if a part can be made without running into stop switches.

But it usually still needs to know the controller to create compatible cnc programs - so usually there should also be a setting for this because different controllers need different G-Code.

I'd just try some settings no matter what they are called and see if Mach3 is able to use it.

Christian
    My CAM Software and CNC Controller: www.estlcam.com