586,052 active members*
4,287 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > DXF 2 Parts & Assemblies

DXF 2 Parts & Assemblies

I am working on a survey of a fullsize aircraft using photogrametry(Allows the accurate triangulation of data from photographs to form an 3D model within 3mm of the combined x,y,z axis).

My question is once finished I want to import the DXF model minus surfaces into Solidworks. How would use the DXF as a template for the positioning of subsequent assemblies and the detailing of parts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tail rear.jpg   nut.jpg   spin3.jpg   tail side.jpg  

prop1.jpg  

Hi,
    That looks like a pretty interesting project. I was wondering what software you use to do the photogrametry with? Thanks- Robbie
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRob
    Hi,
    That looks like a pretty interesting project. I was wondering what software you use to do the photogrametry with? Thanks- Robbie
    Hi, CNCRob,

Here's a link to the software he's using, Photomodeler Pro 5.2. Check it out, way cool stuff. They have a demo you can download but it's limited to the "supplied tutorial data" and you have to give up some contact info before you can download it. (BTW, I cheated and looked at the title bar on those screen shots that BigZ1 attached to come up with the name)

Hope all is well in Western NC,

HayTay
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Look at the title bar in his pics.
    http://www.photomodeler.com/
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Photomodeler is a great program. Compares spot on to the traditional survey that I tried to complete.

Plus points

More accurate that traditional survey techniques, Quick survey time on site(2hrs as compared to 3 days on incomplete conventional survey). Less chance of missing measurements(only requires 1 measured panel line to give project scale). you can also project the model directly onto the photo's to see how accurate it looks(see attached). Cheap £600. Requires the use of an ordinary digital camera(you can also use film). Free updates frequently.

Minus points

To much manual referencing between photos(8 months on project so far, time can be reduced using targets and automatic tools(sticky dots)). Sometimes crashes and the surfaces are very basic. Import data limited to DXF dots. Could do with some basic shapes to speed up work(cubes, spheres etc)

The only thing more accurate would be a laser survey but ££££££ or if you prefer $$$$$$$.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ghost1.jpg   ghost2.jpg   bv155.jpg  

have you imported it into a solidworks environment yet? and if so show me a screen shot.

I might be able to help (although I am no solidworks guru I have been using it for quite awhile now)
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Screen shot as requested. I was thinking of importing the layers individually to make the parts ie, fin, stabliser etc. Then simplfying the overall model just to show the attachment points to mate the parts.

Also some parts I have started work on. Spinners OK. But prop is proving to be a head scratch(boss area and tips are wrong compared to photo).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hk-1.jpg   spinner2jpg.jpg   propup.jpg   prop1.jpg  

the prop will require lofting or sweep a plane as I believe the shap e a 3d surface.

as for the body which is more slab like you can make planes and surfaces based off of the body panels then extrude shape off of them. Although I think lofting (read up on it in the manual) is the way to go.

lofting basically works off of formers. So you would make cross sectional cuttouts at specific points along the body (I bleive they have to be all with the same number of sides (or points to loft) then select the different formers in a certain sequence (in the manual) and loft. then for the cockpit you do a extruded cut.

This is going to be a long slow process for you because your basically going to have to learn the whole of solidworks in a big way.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

I should have made myself clearer. What am trying to understand is how to do a top down assembly using the DXF. I have drawn quie a few parts before in Solidworks but have never needed to assemble anything.

The image of the prop and spinner are Solidworks parts. I am not very happy with the prop though. It was lofted. I think I can sort the tip shape by lofting it seperately. But getting the boss to blade to look good is stumping me. If anyone wants to have a go I can send the file.

Cheers BigZ

doing everything from a 3d dxf file may be kinda tough.

You will basically have to reference all your imported curves and make new ones. Doing a fusalage like that you will want to do a series of lofts and sweeps. Think about doing it in small sections

There is an example that guru Mike Wilson did here of a jet

http://www.mikejwilson.com/911/

SW2007 has new functionality in SW Office Premium called "Scanto3d", it will allow you to bring in mesh and point files and use the geometry to "reverse engineer" your design.

Hope it helps, Good Luck

Mike

Thanks Mike