586,094 active members*
4,070 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Copyright Infringement

hI

Is it a infringement to show a video (consisting of CAM software...actually the purpose is to show a procedure & not concerned to credits or decredits to the CAM Software ) in a Product Launch.

Product is associated with CNC but it is not a CAM software.

Thanks
    rAMU

Have you asked the owner of the unnamed product? that's where I'd start... hth
    Keith

The owner is delcam.

Should i post a query at their website.

Thanks

Do you mean a video of a part or procedure that was generated CAM software?

I have used this type of thing for displays without even thinking about whether it is infringement and I don't see how it can be. You are just using the software as a tool to generate your video.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

It would be an actionable copyright violation if

you made copies of the software and sold them. Making a video of a program written using the CAM software cutting out a part of your own should be fine, although anybody can always sue anyone for anything...

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

No Guys, I think i put it in a wrong way.

I have a product which is a inventory software of CNC. To show a particular time consuming procedure i am using delcam.

Its not that i am critising DELCAM for the wrong procedure. That procedure is found in any CAM software & i am nowhere hurting credientals of DELCAM software.

I just want to show the procedure & the benefit of using my product.

Thanks

if your using their software as a comparison to market your product which would be competitive to Delcam , then I look at it this way , they aren't going to want anyone to take even a small portion out of them so you may opening yourself up to some possible legal action and may be painting a target on your back , even if it doesn't stick legally the financial damage that you may face may be enough to sink you before you've even started
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

No it is not a competition to delcam.

What i want to show is what possibly & mostly CAM Programs do a mistake while programming in any CAM software.

I am using delcam because i am a user of it & that's it.

Thanks

It sounds like you are doing something that is a bit like a review or criticism of a book. Provided any comments you make are accurate and you simply present what the software does without giving an opinion I think you will be fine.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Talking

Great Sir,

Thanks

Boy that was hard to follow - still not sure I get it. But it looks like he got the legal answer he was shopping for

If you are launching a product that by its nature displays a possible downside in CAM software, is it necessary to actually name the one you are using if your really targeting all?
    Or include a rider which states you are not singling out any one product.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Just do it, if Delcam has a problem with it, they just cant sue you right off the bat, they have to serve you a stop order, if you do not comply then they have the right to take you to court. dont over think it to much.
    Helmut

Question

Hi

" Or include a rider which states you are not singling out any one product. ""

What's rider. Is it a subtitle to be mentioned in the video which mentions downside of a CAM Program creation procedure.

Thanks
    Varma