586,082 active members*
3,617 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G201 step but no Dir

G201 step but no Dir

my problem is that i can step in one direction only (Tabing in mack3 demo) try to tab in the other dir and nothing.
    Things that i have done:
    Swapped motors
    swapped drives
    swapped step/dir pins on lpt

Now I thinks its either the drives or the software or the Mobo.

Things i am going to do.

swap mobo on pc
    swap power supply 5v and 28v
    reverse direction of stepper wiring at stepper.

This all came about after hitting the home in mack3 mill. it went home and then would not come out to play.

any ideas on diag or soultion pls.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul3112
    my problem is that i can step in one direction only (Tabing in mack3 demo) try to tab in the other dir and nothing.
    Things that i have done:
    Swapped motors
    swapped drives
    swapped step/dir pins on lpt

Now I thinks its either the drives or the software or the Mobo.

Things i am going to do.

swap mobo on pc
    swap power supply 5v and 28v
    reverse direction of stepper wiring at stepper.http://www.cnczone.com/forums/newrep...reply&p=179720

This all came about after hitting the home in mack3 mill. it went home and then would not come out to play.

any ideas on diag or soultion pls.

Paul
    Well it seems as if it would be a lot easier to trouble shoot it..

Monitor the dir pin and write a gcode and use the mach program itself to see if it switches. Or you can watch tthe keds in the setup program it see lf to see if they go on and off and monitor the pin at the same time. Either a meter or even a cheap logic probe could monitor the pin.

Or unhook the dir pin from the systemm and tie the dir pin highh and low and see if it switches direction. Seems much simpler than just changing things at random and maybe iintroducung more problems...

Garry

Hi Garry. You are correct , unless its the driver board
    I am interested in the logic of diagnostics. The step counters are moving so Mach3 thinks that the pins are sending. I will acquire a logic probe and see if the pins are high or low. Mach3 prefers the pin low as it gives a better current tolerance.

Paul

Garry just to keep you in the loop. I checked the Dir pins on the mobo and nothing. (set mach3 to hi and low) Replaced mobo and all is as should be, Thankx for your input, very helpfull.
    I will also replace the wirering loom to the drivers as this is also possible short site.
    I can't think of anything else that could have caused this one.

Paul

Paul

Just an update for anyone following this, It was not the MoBo, it was the 5v from the midi port. I was getting 3.2v instaed of 5v, Took 5v directly from the psu and all is now fixed. Just thought some one might like to know.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul3112
    Just an update for anyone following this, It was not the MoBo, it was the 5v from the midi port. I was getting 3.2v instaed of 5v, Took 5v directly from the psu and all is now fixed. Just thought some one might like to know.

Paul
    This is why I have always recommended a stand-alone 5 VDC supply for the logic in the electronics enclosure.

Hi CJL5558,
    Yep I thought so too, pc power and sepperate power supply. Did not think that a pci sound card would give pobs as I have been using them for years for flight sims.
    Got to luv learning every day.

Paul