586,121 active members*
3,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Odd acting ProTRAK Plus

I have an older Sharp ser 2 knee mill with a ProtoTRAK Plus 2 axis control that’s been setting in the corner for some time. I decided to turn it on today and everything comes on but when I try to jog just the X axis both the X and the Y move at the same time about 2 inches then I get a Y axis fault error!

Ok…so I hit the “restore” button and hold down the jog button again until it is in jog mode. This time I press the Y axis button and again both the Y and X axis move about two inches at the same time and the now the X axis gets a fault error!?

I’m not that knowledgeable about this control so if anyone out there is, can you tell me what’s going on here? Why are both axis moving?

Steve

Red face Late follow up...

... the moral of the story is be sure to mark you x and y cable plugs, because if you unplug and then happen to plug them in opposite...the results are my first post. (wedge)

Steve

closed loop control

older prototrak plus uses trav-a-dial encoders, a type of fine tooth gear wheel in contact with side of table or saddle to register movement
    for example if encoder wheel is jammed with a metal chip it registers no movement and control send full power to servo to move.
    i have broken a few end mills before learning about the seal kit for keeping trav-a-dial clean that needs changing every so often.
    so close loop monitors movement but if it malfunctions you could get over travel

FYI

We have a 3 axis package of drives and Trav-a-dial units removed from a Bridgeport during retrofit.

Del