I am working on building a cnc horizontal hone. I have looked at the new hone from sunnen but it does not do exactly what I want it to do, and the time that it will take to set up will kill my margins. Right now I am using a sunnen hone, and a heavy duty drill hanging in an overhead crane. For some reason the guy operating it for days on end figures its time for an upgrade.

I am about a 1/4 way done desighning the unit in solid works, but need to figure out the drive system to run a motor up and down a single axis for a set amount of time. (probably pretty simple but I am new to CNC) I would also like to control my motor speed for the hone, and a cutting fluid pump. Sunnen has a hone available that automatically adjusts to the cylinder bore as far as I know, and I would like that cnc controlled as well.

Gcode is as good as greek to me. I need to know what kind of software I should be looking at, or if I would be better off using a sauer +1 controller, and programming everything from the start. (Plus+1 controllers are basically I/O modules that can be programmed to whatever spec you want- dig, analog, pwm, pvwm, pvem, and a **** load more. They also have displays that are relatively decent to program. The only reason I would consider going this way is because I have the software to program it and use it every day.)

As for the drive system I am not sure what the best way to drive it would be. I could go with a belt, or screw drive, but would like to reduce the wear components on it as much as possible. For motor sizing I have no idea how to calculate how much pressure it will take to move the hone up and down the x axis.

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

I would buy the control and the motor from sunnen but they will not split the unit.... so no deal.