586,111 active members*
3,522 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Open Source CNC Machine Designs > Help!!! UK builds - suppliers and general costs??? (non UK folks, look too pls!)

Help!!! UK builds - suppliers and general costs??? (non UK folks, look too pls!)

hi zoners,

ive been lurking around for the last month looking to build a half decent woodworking cnc router. i hope to build to a size of minimum 75cm x 150cm, but may go up to 100cm x 200cm to give me more construction options if the difference in budget is a small percentage of total cost.

i was wondering if any UK people have any estimated build cost for their projects, any suppliers, or any links to threads which detail their builds.

Im looking to cut furniture panels etc, but also cutting marquetry into them. Im wondering about the accuracy to cost ratio of the different methods, how accurate I need to get, and I hope that you guys can give me some confidence in what is an almost an overwhelming task. I have a background in product design, so I know my eggs and can visualise what I want fairly well, but best practices and any advice is gratefully accepted.

I think that higher rails and an almost flat gantry (as in the solsylva belt drive table shown here http://www.solsylva.com/cnc/beltdrive.jpg ) is the idea im looking at so....

onto more questions before I set my design:

Im thinking of either using timing belt/pulleys, or a rack and pinion system. will leadscrews be cheaper with the same or better accuracy over this size of machine?

Extruded auminium for the frame is my current plan - expensive I know so can you recommend any alternatives, considering the size, and my general lack of machining equipment( i have a router, a drill press, circular saw, jigsaw and hand tools at my disposal?)

regarding the above, are there any other tools that are a necessity for a build that I need?

this is a big ask with a lot of stuff that you busy people might not have time to answer, but i have seen how much you have all helped others, and fingers crossed this great community will give me a leg up and set me upon the path to machiningheaven

thanks in advance to all you fountains of knowledge

Matt

I have a few suppliers, try these places out, all based in the UK and all will supply in low volume

MetalFast – www.metalfast.co.uk
    Motion control products - www.motioncontrolproducts.com
    MarchantDice – www.marchantdice.com (also ebay)

Estimated costs, don’t ask… I am about half way through my build, and I stopped looking at the balance sheet.

Good luck on your build.

Jason

PM to thkoutsidthebox who is a user on this board I included a link to his profile below. He is in the UK and has just about the full list of what you may need!

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/member.php?u=45349

Coog
    Building Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] 105%
    Finishing Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-] 95%