586,283 active members*
4,019 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

AC Power Supply Query

Can anyone explain the difference between 220 and 230 volts and 50 and 60 cycles and the effect on motors .
    I know that if voltage drops then current will rise and could cause failure if the drop is significant.
    In Ausralia our voltage is 230 and 50 cycles . some chinese mills have 220 volt systems
    I am looking to buy a Super X3 mill but there have been problems with the electrics not lasting very long here.
    The normal X3 mill has no problem .
    Any input will be appreciated.

BFiles

Depends what kind of motor and the control.
    Is there any reason you are not going with the Australian version? 50hz etc.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The problems have been with the !!Australian version!!, I will find more details but It seems that a transformer kept failing in one instance. So much so that the machine was returned and a refund given.
    I have asked SYIL for specs and they just say that they use 220 volts and have no problem. Our power supply is 230/240 volts. Not Quite the same,
    They don't say what the frequency is.
    I will come back with more specifics.
    Bfiles

Transformers and even motors to some extent are pretty durable items, and should be able to stand a bit of tolerance.
    The thing I have found is the poor quality of Chinese components, especially motors and the like. They seem to have a high failure rate, or very poor performance.
    I have experienced some defective motors right off the shelf.
    I have the feeling the Chinese have not mastered the art yet.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by wjfiles
    I am looking to buy a Super X3 mill but there have been problems with the electrics not lasting very long here.
    Any more details on this? Source of info?

Australian X3 owner just wanting to stay informed.

There is a tolerance allowed on the incoming line voltage. It is NOT going to be perfectly at 220. I've seen as low as 105 and as high as 120.

Some power companys will even allow the voltage to creep a bit during periods of high demand so that as the load increases, the voltage won't drop TOO low. WE had some overcurrent problems in our BPT mill and the transformer was a bit high on the output. Apparenlty we had it set on 205v tap when we were putting 220 into it - apparently the previous owner had low incoming voltage in his shoppe.

Consistently high voltage can cause a but more heat in the motor and possibly over current.

50 vs 60 hz affects motor speed in syncronous motors but I forget how.