586,082 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VF-3 Purchase

Hey all,

I'm going into negotiations for a VF-3 10K Spindle, 30HP Geared Head, Haas Probing Option, value pack side mount tool changer.

I was wondering what I should expect to pay.

I don't want to get screwed. That's all. The thing tops out @ $95K on the web page. I was wondering how much room I have to deal with HFO. :cheers:
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

The web page doesn't account for the option packages. I don't know how much less they are than each individually but it is considerable. Mine is a 12/2004 Vf-4 VOP-D with 20hp/10000 rpm, gearbox and probing. Its been a while but as I recall the package saved around a couple thou off what the web said. I highly recomend the probing package, it is well worth it. It sure beats jump style indicators, dials, and scraps of paper! Some options like high speed machining you don't have to get right away as you can use a 200 hour trial to see if you like it and then if you do you just calll them up with your credit card number and they tell you code to punch in to fully activate it.

Course if you were just lucky like Geof you could get one with all the options at base price :-)

Woo-Hoo 200 posts (whatever that means)

JP

Quote Originally Posted by JPMach
    ....Course if you were just lucky like Geof you could get one with all the options at base price :-) ....JP
    It wasn't quite as low as base price and then I found I had to get a $1400 adaptor so it would run my brushed rotary. All the machines now have brushless 4th axis.

I think with a bit of horsetrading it should be possible to get 5% off maybe more. Problem is they are selling so many machines these days they are not hungry.

The Haas application person at Westec told me the best time for deals is at the trade show when competitors are just across the isle. I noticed Haas was discounting their machines at the last Demo day. I don't know if that's a part of their new marketing stragtegy or because Gene Haas was arrested just a couple days prior.

It took a while for me to negotiate the price on my VF-2SS, and I was ready to go with Hurco's VMX24, but I figure US made machine, large user base, and a larger tech support department (Haas + HFO) justify the extra few percentage difference in price.

If you let HFO know you're also considering a comparable machine that's less expensive they may be more willing to discount. From what I've heard, manufacturing sector is doing well in the US so there's probably less room for discounts. On the positive side, Haas probe package at $5K is already a great bargain. Hurco wants $10k+ and Hardinge has a special at $8k two month ago when I ordered the Haas.

Haas purchasing

I totally agree that the best time to buy a machine is on a trade show.

I have purchase several haas VMC's including a VF3. The price I paid for it was around 80k. Keep in mind this was about 5 years ago.

One last tip. I hope you are not in the hurry to purchase the machine. The more rush you are in the more prone to them not discounting the price.

As someone suggested dont be shy to tell them you are looking into other
    systems comparable to their for example the milltronics or Hurco's that always seems to light a fire on the sales poeple when they know they are not the only one's in town and fear they might loose the sale.

Good luck :-)

If your looking at a vf3 why not go for the vf-4? I was in a similar position. The vf4 is the same size as the 3 with an extra 10 inches in the x.

Here is a quote I got from my local hfo:

(1) Haas VF-4 Vertical Machining Center:50"x20"x25"(x,y,z), 20-hp, 1,000 ipm rapids, 55 gallon flood coolant tank and system, rigid tapping, 15" color monitor and USB port. Base price $63,995

24 tool side mount tool changer, chip auger system, programmable coolant nozzle, coordinate rotation and scaling, Haas intuitive programming system, 4th axis drive for brushless rotaries, custom macros, high speed machining with look ahead, Haas visual quickcode work and tool offset probing system, or wireless intuitive probe system

Prices separately $25,288 Package price $15,995

16MB program memory $995
    10,000-rpm 20-hp spindle $3,695
    Early power failure detection module $519

Total $94,492

Price with options package $85,199

The best price I could get out of them was $80,000

This was until the Haas guy dropped by the shop one day and saw the whole shop was moved around and a space was cleared for a new machine. He didn't have a p.o. from me and was getting really nervous. He kept asking if I had already bought another machine. I had already bought my new Okuma but didn't tell him yet.

I got another quote the next day.

*Special Price to EWW $76,500
    *good until 3/15/07

If they would have gave me their lowest price up front maybe they would have got the sale. Oh well.

Why not look for a newer used machine and save the drive off the lot sticker price?

As you can see the thread is rather old, and I've got may machine up and running. quite happy with it. The new route is the way to go, and we got the IMTS discount on it.

reason for new? I like know where my machine has been. With a one machine shop, you can't risk working with a machine, where you aren't entirely sure of it's history. Even when checking it out in person, you still assume all of the risk as the buyer. The seller will usually never have a warranty on the machine. You really have to ask why are they selling it, if it's such a great machine.
    HFO Support has been good with the minor issues I've had. Mostly software. And they were quick to deal with. Mechanically the machine has performed with out any issues.
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Edster.

If you take the same size casting, and have a smaller travel, the machine should be more stable. That's the reasoning for me to get the VF-3. I wouldn't touch a VF-5 as its the largest machine built on that same casting.

Just my preference.