586,103 active members*
3,304 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

speed control for this motor

First off this came from a dumpster dive(ok so it was laying next to it). Anyway it was part of a Goldentech lift chair recliner. I don,t know if its a dc motor, servo or stepper. I know it works and moves very slowly so I figured I could use it as a powerfeed for my small mill. My question is do you think I can add a speed control to it using the control box that came with it or should I plan on getting a controller for it. Sorry i don,t have specs I forgot to write 'em down before I left the shop, I think it was like 30 volt, 5 amp but I,m not really sure, I figured its gotta be strong enough to make a powerfeed out of it or if I,m able to use them as stepper motors well that will be good too. Any ideas would be appreciated and I,ll post specs up tomorrow.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...chmentid=20530
    attachment.php (JPEG Image, 832x618 pixels)

That looks to me like a permenant magnet DC motor - not a servo or a stepper. It would be possible to convert it to a servo by attaching an encoder on the end but as you probably already know, standard DC motors rarely have the necessary precision that a specially designed servo would. If it is fast enough you might be able to use it for a spindle motor on a small machine.
    Dom
    http://www.ukrobotics.com/projects

Since the motor shaft is at a right angle to the acme screw shaft, I think you will find gearing inside the case like on car power window lift units. This accounts for the slow shaft speed.

So it should make a good powerfeed for my mill then? I figured I try it anyway. I screwed up and forgot to get the motor info again(dammit). And the gear inside that drives the screw is one of those hob screw and gear deals.

hi

and most likely plastic gears inside

cheers

Yeah plastic they are and as soon as I get a rotary table with indexing that will be a project to replace them with at least aluminum gears. Anyway for free I don,t think I can beat it

Uh oh ! Its says intermittant duty 2/18 min ( this can,t be good can it?) And I was right about the voltage 30 volt 5amp . So I take it I can't use this motor for a powerfeed ?

well, you possibly could use it as a powerfeed. Just don't keep it going at full load for very long.