586,075 active members*
4,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

need source for BT 30 tool holders????

Hello,

Does anyone have a good source for I think they are BT 30 (Ericson type), mill holders for a series 2 with quick change spindle??? (I think it is the tool holders that have the 2 "flanges" sticking out, (not the ones with the 2 cut in places).

If you know of a place the would sell "starter sets" that would be nice to, for various sized end mill, a jacobs chuck, and do they make a "R-8" adapter so I could re-use some of my R-8 specialty tooling like: facing tool, boring head, ect.

thanks in advance (or even if you might have some extra tool holder that are in decent shape that you would like to get rid off).

scott

Tool Holders

Scott,

Tell Frank that I asked you to contact him personally.

Frank J. Fullone
    President
    ERI America, Inc.
    [email protected]
    Ph. 847-550-9710
    Fax 847-550-9716

Regards,

JR Walcott
    Georgia Machine Tool Resources
    127 Huff Drive
    Lawrenceville, GA 30044
    770-682-5875 Phone
    770-609-7788 Fax
    678-983-3789 Cell
    [email protected]
    www.gamtr.com (under construction)

JR Walcott,

Thank you for your reply, I will try and give him a call today or tommorrow.

I sure do appreciate your quick reply, and help,

scott

Mine takes an NMTB 30 taper which isn't as common as the CAT40 type stuff but still its out there. I've found it on ebay, msc, mcmaster, etc. The ones that came with my mill were made by ericson but they say "erikson #30 NMTB"

The problem with adaptors to R8 is they are quite bulky. If your doing a bunch of tool changes with a height compensation, you need to stay within the Z travel of your mill so that you can make the height comp work, which means your short little 1/2" end mill your using has to be within 4.5" (room to work without hitting the z limit) or whatever your travel is, of your big huge r8 adaptor or drill chuck with a long bit. Thats sorta a limitation but really I'm finding its pretty easy to work around with some planning.

The NMTB 30 taper seem to be about $50 ea give or take, depending what it is your buying.

I was just coming on to ask this very question. I just picked picked up a Bridgeport Series 1 Rigid-Ram mill with the old Boss 3 CNC system replaced with a 10 year old Centroid CNC M400 controller. It came with 2 Erickson #30 NMTB quick change tool holders but I will definitely need more. Will any of the standard NMTB 30 holders work with this or do I need the Erickson holders specifically? What about an ER32 collet system for use with the NMTB 30 taper? Good or bad idea?
    Thanks

I've got some standard NMTB 30's coming so I'll know for sure here in a few days.

Ericson 30 QC30 will fit into NMTB30...
    NMTB30 will not always fit into QC30.
    APT and Lyndex if I recall have resonably priced toolholders. All sizes are not avalable :-)
    Thats what I have found looking around and buying the wrong toolholders for our R2E3

Dave

guys, i am based in china, (but from australia )if you need toolholders, cutters etc, let me know, there is a toolmarket close to home here in china, bt30 toolholders run at about $100usd each, cutters are pretty cheap too, 25mm slot or end mill is less than $5usd each, 4-5-6mm slot or end mills are less than a $1.00usd, you can email me offline at [email protected]. i have brought bucketloads of holders/cutters for for my chinese CNC mill and lathe, which i will take home at end of contract at xmas time.