586,103 active members*
3,028 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Hurco VM1

Hurco VM1

I have been looking at a Hurco VM1. It seems to be a good overall package to fit our needs. Small footprint, good control capabilities, and decent price. Has anyone bought one and what do you think of it? Are there any shortcomings? How is the spindle?
    Crashing Sucks!
    www.reliancemachine.com

There's one in my shop that the green guys get to run. The rest get to run high end japanese stuff. It's just not the same. It's good at what it does. Just takes a while for the spindle to get to 8K. And when you run everything at 8K that's a bit of a pita.
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Makino

Have you looked at the Makino VMC's yet? They put out an excellent machine. I saw one from program to setup to production when visiting a friend in a different shop. It was like seeing Southern Whop A.. in Aluminum 7075. Very exciting in action.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

we have had a VM2 for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@Reliance View Post
    I have been looking at a Hurco VM1. It seems to be a good overall package to fit our needs. Small footprint, good control capabilities, and decent price. Has anyone bought one and what do you think of it? Are there any shortcomings? How is the spindle?
    Just make sure you get the options you need. I use to be a senior application engineer for them. What kind of work do you do and what options were you getting. Where is Canada are you I may know the dealer.

We have one and use it to produce moulds for rubber heat presses. It is not in production use where it is running around the clock. We use it 4-8 hours a day. Never had a problem with it.
    We mostly cut 7075, 2024 and O-1 with the aluminum being the majority. We have no need for extremely tight finishes. When we do it performs well for what we need. We don't work stainless or exotic alloys.
    One drawback is the motor is only 15Hp. Could use more but we are not in a critical production rate mode.
    If you need a faster spindle I would get one of the aftermarket highspeed spindles you add on. Cannot tell you about those because we don't use them.
    It all depends upon how you use plan to use/abuse it!
    mc_n_g

Considering you are looking at the Hurco (which as a comparable machine for it's market segment) don't bother looking at a Makino - yes they are amazing AND they are 3 - 5 times the money. Nowhere near the same market for these 2 machines.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca